Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Borders or done (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/borders-done-t307804.html)

Tartan 11-03-2019 05:28 AM

Borders or done

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619205[/ATTACH]I got the top pieced yesterday. The only fabric I have enough of is the dark brown that is the strips already on the sides. Should I put another dark brown all around or just sandwich and bind with the brown. It is about 36x41 . It is a chemo quilt...is that the correct size or too small.

Iceblossom 11-03-2019 05:50 AM

I think I'd like at least a one block-unit (the size of the small squares) wide border all around, and I think the size is good, but see if you can wrap it around your shoulders.

So I do the dark border and a light colored binding myself, close to the tone of the other lights it wouldn't have to match exactly.

Hugs again to you and your family. It will be appreciated.

isewman 11-03-2019 06:18 AM

Maybe a wide strip with the color of material in the left hand corner or what you have in the stars you have in your quilt then maybe your dark strip of material

ruthrings 11-03-2019 06:19 AM

I agree with Iceblossom. I've made that quilt many times. Isn't it great!

AprilM 11-03-2019 06:25 AM

Tartan... what a beautiful quilt! And what a blessing it will be to the recipient!

This is just my opinion, but from what i see in your photo you couldnt go wrong either way. Since you asked - i would vote for no border just because i dont necessarily like to do borders myself and i can see your quilt finishing just as beautiful as it already is without a border!

I have wondered the same thing often - border or no border??? Borders just arent my favorite thing to do. Certain patterns call for them and i have no problem technically executing them, but i just dont like them much! I dont enjoy adding them or quilting them but i do concede to throwing them on when necessary. Not sure if any of that makes sense!

Sometimes you dont have much choice because the quilt just needs to be bigger. Been there done that. Because i dont like borders much, i usually opt for just making extra blocks if needed for the sake of size. Whats a girl to do???

I am probably in the minority in this discussion, but i would say that a whopping 95% of the quilts i finish have no actual border. If i think the quilt still needs “something” to make it “pop” i might add a pieced binding and i am usually very pleased to call it done! Sometimes its important to add a binding in a single color to give the proper finish and “stop all the action” going on in a quilt.

Most of the time i avoid running afoul of the Quilt Police. If not, let ‘em come!

zozee 11-03-2019 06:55 AM

Pretty quilt, Tartan. What’s the pattern called?

It does not need a border for appearance, but since it’s a chemo quilt, I would make it bigger.

juliasb 11-03-2019 07:00 AM

I would make it a bit larger for a chemo quilt. It sometimes gets mighty cold in those infusion chairs. (been there done this many times). You want something that will cover you from shoulders to knees. Another row of the smaller blocks and a solid border should do it.

sewingitalltogether 11-03-2019 07:54 AM

I made a chemo quilt. I made it big enough to be a nice warm cover. Lap sized. ?
Like your colors.

loisf 11-03-2019 09:43 AM

Tartan, it's a really pretty quilt. I think it's a little small yet, so I'd be sure to add the border. I'd also add another row of pieced strips (if you have enough other fabric left) on the left and right side of the quilt (as it is pictured) making it about 36 X 47 before the border. Then it would finish at about 39 x 50 and it would wrap around the recipients shoulders more generously.

Tartan 11-03-2019 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, I added a 3-1/2 inch square border all the way around. It now measures 42X49 and will just fit my backing. I will back and bind it in the brown. Done is better then perfect, right?
The pattern is available on the internet but I don't know it the Comfort Of Psalms panel is still available. If you have an embroidery machine, you could do your own scriptures.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619213[/ATTACH]