Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   This Is Bugging Me! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/bugging-me-t55807.html)

moonrise 07-23-2010 02:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I cut 50 2-1/2" strips out of my Christmas fabric stash, and used them today to made a jelly roll strippy quilt. Whew. That's hard on the ol' shoulders! :shock:

I like the quilt top overall, but two of my red strips ended up right beside each other, and end in exactly the same spot. Meh! :roll:

Does it look bad? Yeah, I think it does, too. I'm probably going to take one of the strips out and replace it with a different color, and shorten one of the strips above it so that they don't end in exactly the same place. Every time I look at the quilt top, my eye jumps right to those red strips.

Of course, if I'd been TRYING to match them up like that, it wouldn't have worked! LOL! :lol:

Guess I'll have a date with Mr. Seam Ripper later this evening. ;-)

Here's a photo, but it's kind of dark. My camera's battery is fizzled. Some of the fabrics have metallic outlining, and some have glitter. It's prettier in person ... except for those dingdang red strips! :lol:

noveltyjunkie 07-23-2010 02:14 AM

Lovely!

I see what you mean about those two pesky strips- how about making a feature of them by doing something like appliquéing some baubles on there, or a word (Noel?).

janRN 07-23-2010 02:40 AM

Your strips are so straight is there any way you can stitch a strip over the "offending" red one rather that ripping them apart? I never get all those seams so straight and would hate to see yours end up looking like mine (wavy). What a pretty Christmasy quilt though!

tweetee 07-23-2010 02:53 AM

Or, you could just rip out that one seam where the 2 are together, turn the smaller part around, and restitch

fabric-holic 07-23-2010 02:56 AM

I see it but don't think it needs fixing.
Maybe consider it an "amish" touch....don't they usually include an error in their tops for humility?

quiltinghere 07-23-2010 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by tweetee
Or, you could just rip out that one seam where the 2 are together, turn the smaller part around, and restitch

This sounds like a plan too...if the side of the smaller quilt top looks ok along side the bigger part of the quilt top. Look see before you sew.

I would HAVE to 'fix' those 2 reds. My eye would be drawn to that exact spot every time I looked at it. I like "organized scrappy". I would have laid the strips out before I sewed them together. I know that defeats the 'scrappy sewing process' but I like "organized scrappy". One day I'll tell you about my braid quilt! ROFL

mlaceruby 07-23-2010 03:09 AM

I would just take some strips of white and sew them on a diagonal and make it a candy cane!

dsb38327 07-23-2010 03:13 AM

It would make a perfect space to say Merry Christmas or your favorite holiday slogan.

rootyr 07-23-2010 03:17 AM

Good idea Michelle!

katier825 07-23-2010 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by tweetee

I'd do the same, or sew it to the other end of the quilt. You can probably flip it around different ways and find a place to put it without too much difficulty.