Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Can someone date these fabrics? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/can-someone-date-these-fabrics-t46586.html)

Linda B 05-21-2010 11:53 AM

Candace, yes I machine appliqued the edges. As far as turning under, I did that where possible. These were the first blocks my mother ever made and were had stitched together with some very irregular seams. In a few cases I had to applique raw edges to end up with the hexagons anywhere near the proper size/shape. But it was worth the effort -- she had kept these with her for 70 years through about 10-12 moves, some up-sizing, others downsizing ending up in a one room apartment in assisted living. They must have been extremely important to her. I made four wall hangings out of them, one each for my two daughters, my sister and myself.

ejudy 05-21-2010 12:30 PM

Glad to see some dates for your fabric. I've got some that looks identical to yours from my mother's stash. Not sure when she got them, but she was born in 1913 and sewed all her life.

CarrieAnne 05-21-2010 01:27 PM

Beautiful fabrics!

hannahsmom 05-21-2010 05:35 PM

I love those fabrics....sorry dont know anything about them thou

wvdek 05-21-2010 06:01 PM

Love the blocks. The fabrics definitely appear 30's. Very nice.

ctmhjenn 05-21-2010 08:48 PM

These look like the real thing to me. I grew up watching my mom use up the flour and the sugar, and then use the fabric to make dishtowels. She wasn't in to quilting, but my gramma did, these look like the ones she used in her 30's quilt. I believe these to be the real thing. Repro's are just that, reproductions of what you have. You're right, I too would have to feel them, but I think they are the real Mccoy.

mzsooz 05-21-2010 09:49 PM

I vote 30's. I just inherited a bag of fabrics just like these and there was actually a receipt from a store stuffed into the bag with them and it was dated early 30's.

I still don't know what to do with my fabrics. Some of the scraps are pretty tiny. Some are actually pieces of clothing.

Candace 05-22-2010 06:51 AM

Woohoo. I figured out what size pieces I need for the last 5 unfinished star blocks. I started piecing them last night.

I'll post photos when I'm done. It's going to be tricky putting together 4", 5", 3" blocks and 11 star blocks, but my goal is to do it.

Rainbow 05-22-2010 07:17 AM

LOVE this !!! I, too, have been given some '30s (??) quilt blocks and some large pieces of material - with no idea of what to do with them..... I have some that are paper-pieced in a KIND OF fan shape, probably using up pieces of materials. Looking forward to see what you will be doing. Good luck, Candace

JEM65 05-22-2010 09:00 AM

I am guessing these fabrics date from 1930's. I also think they look fabulous no matter what era they are from and they are soooo worth saving. You will enjoy the quilt that comes from these little bits of history so much!