Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Can We Have An Quilt Show/Contest? I Have A Winner!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/can-we-have-quilt-show-contest-i-have-winner-t269372.html)

Jeanne S 08-29-2015 12:51 PM

Can We Have An Quilt Show/Contest? I Have A Winner!!

1 Attachment(s)
I don't think I have ever seen an ugly quilt show/contest on this Board! Well, I have one that I think would win. Over a year ago, when my guild was making quilts for the Juvenile Justice Center, I thought I would make a brightly colored one that might appeal to a teenager. So I picked some random bright fabrics from my stash (that I probably would never have used!!) and made a stack of the easy rectangle blocks. When I laid them all out together on the floor, the result was absolutely horrible--the colors and prints all next to each other was just awful. So I stacked the blocks up and set them aside as I just couldn't bear to look at them. I recently was going through some UFO's and ran across these ugly blocks. The only thing I could think of to do was to separate them with some wide black strips to tone down the mishmash of prints and colors. Here is the result--still very ugly!!! Not sure what to do with it now. Maybe I will take it to the Day Center for the Homeless--at least it may keep someone warm.
This whole experience got me to thinking that I really have not seen very many truly UGLY quilts here--surely I am not the only one to make one! It might be fun[ATTACH=CONFIG]529188[/ATTACH] to see some others and get a chuckle from them if you are brave enough to show yours!!

QuiltingVagabond 08-29-2015 12:56 PM

Jeanne - this one would never win an ugly quilt contest! Now maybe if you had made your original layout without the black... :)

patsynel 08-29-2015 01:43 PM

There is nothing ugly about this quilt. Anyone would love to have it.

ManiacQuilter2 08-29-2015 01:52 PM

Jeanne, I agree. This could NEVER win an ugly contest. We should have a contest for the ugliest quilt.

Manalto 08-29-2015 02:22 PM

Jeanne, it's an entertaining idea but people here are too nice to agree with those who submit that something is ugly. Too many years of "If you can't say something nice..."

MadQuilter 08-29-2015 02:33 PM

Are you kidding? That is totally modern and cute. It may not be to your liking but it is FAR from ugly.

QM 08-29-2015 05:07 PM

My recommendation for this quilt would be to applique a few cars on the black, or other random applique.

bearisgray 08-29-2015 05:10 PM

The black strips really helped it.

I think it looks like a very usable quilt - and very cheery looking.

starshine 08-29-2015 05:13 PM

Sorry I think it is very lively and would absolutely be loved by a lot of teens and young people, and even older ones. Do donate it either to the original program or the homeless shelter you mentioned. I think it is destined to be loved.

GingerK 08-29-2015 07:09 PM

I think this is very modern. You made a 'purse out of a pig's ear'!! Great save.