Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Can you keep a secret?...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/can-you-keep-secret-t117158.html)

Gizzy-Girl 04-19-2011 09:45 AM

Oh, I am so happy, happy, for you. I can hear the excitement in your voice. Yea for new mom & grandma doing the happy dance :-)

AngieS 04-19-2011 09:46 AM

Growing up I had a Mamaw-I love this woman to pieces! She's 85 now and still going. My kids call her Mamaw Katie. :) Then I had a Granny....then everyone called her mother Granny so my brother and I had an Old Granny and a New Granny (love them both!) Old Granny (my great grandmother) died back in 89-I still have the quilt that she made for me. I don't even remember her ever giving it to me but it is priceless! I LOVE IT! :) Even at 35 years old I just coving up with it. :)

AngieS 04-19-2011 09:48 AM

A lot of times the name that the grandparent is called is sort of what the child starts calling you. Like my mother-in-law is MeeMaw to our kids just because that is what the first grandchild called her. It was MeeMaw and PeePaw.

By the way Congratulations!!!!!

dhanke 04-19-2011 10:09 AM

I saw a book a while back, long after our grandchildren were born, the title struck me as being so beautiful. It was called "I loved you before you were born" You could write that and date it now, then add your grandchilds name and date of birth later.

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
I just found out a week ago yesterday that my daughter is expecting her first baby (our first grandchild!!). I have made a Beatrix Potter quilt to give her on Mothers' Day, along with a story book that contains all of Beatrix Potter's stories. I'm going to call the quilt "Sleepytime Story Quilt", but I 'm not sure if I should make the label, and write in the book, not knowing the baby's sex or name, or wait until he/she is born.

What do you think?..... The baby's not due until Nov. 2st.

Sharonsews 04-19-2011 10:39 AM

I am so happy for you. The quilt is so cute! How about addressing the quilt and book "To you - Love, Grandma May 2011"? I always liked to have a name and date in my sons' books so he will always know who gave it to him and when.

canuckninepatch 04-19-2011 11:10 AM

Beautiful! Thanks so much!

Chris Kieffer 04-19-2011 11:10 AM

That is the SWEETEST baby quilt ever!!

canuckninepatch 04-19-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gizzy-Girl
Oh, I am so happy, happy, for you. I can hear the excitement in your voice. Yea for new mom & grandma doing the happy dance :-)

Happy, happy, happy, happy happy!!!! :lol:

Giagia Polly 04-19-2011 11:27 AM

What a darling quilt!! Well, I AM a grandma (and love every minute of it!) and what I've done is given the quilt and added the label later. With the first grandchild, I planned to make a pink quilt and a blue quilt so I was ready for either (as they were not planning to find out the sex ahead of time). I got the blue one done and then my daughter said she'd really prefer a yellow-green one. Another daughter also wanted a yellow-green one the first time around and then asked if I'd make both so the second child would have a pink or blue one. Anyway, I brought the blue one to the hospital and added the label a couple of weeks later.

You could do the same with the book. Some parents "read" to the baby even before it's born.

quilter in the making 04-19-2011 11:49 AM

Congratulations!! I had to do the same thing. My daughter is due in August and my daughter-in-law is due in September. These are the first grandchildren. It's so exciting, isn't it? I am making both babies pinwheel quilts and thought I might go ahead and embroider the labels and use a permanent marker to fill in the information later.