Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Cash register tape scrappy quilt...left the paper on, quilted and then washed... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/cash-register-tape-scrappy-quilt-left-paper-quilted-then-washed-t226179.html)

justflyingin 07-20-2013 08:07 AM

Cash register tape scrappy quilt...left the paper on, quilted and then washed...

3 Attachment(s)
I sewed scraps on cash register tape (idea from someone here).

I found the thinner tape here in Poland but then when perusing a Five and Dime type store in downtown Newton, KS, in May when we were in the states, came across some almost 4" wide register tape--no doubt it fits an antique machine that is no longer in usage anymore. I bought all they had, and will use it up this way.

I save my scraps but sometimes the scraps are really in strange shapes and sizes and difficult to cut into 2" or larger pieces.

Before washing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]424842[/ATTACH]

I sew the scraps on the paper tape when I'm totally uninspired or just need to use up the ends of my bobbins so I can fill them up anew---it is mindless sewing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]424843[/ATTACH]

I did another one first, but then I stupidly washed it WITHOUT finishing the quilt first because I lacked the patience to pick out the tape from the back of the stitching. Needless to say, I have a lot of repairs on that top... :p

So, I asked here a while ago what people did and one lady suggested that she washed hers after it was quilted with the paper still on and no one is/was the wiser....

So, I tried it. I finished it today and washed it today. It turned out even better after washing...

Anyway, after washing this completed quilt, I'm totally pleased. It's drying now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]424844[/ATTACH]

thimblebug6000 07-20-2013 08:11 AM

Looks great! I've never left the paper in but can't see that it would harm anything. When it is totally dry can you hear the crinkle of the paper?

chezza_79 07-20-2013 08:12 AM

that is so cool! I love it and what a great idea to use up scraps!!

justflyingin 07-20-2013 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 6186900)
Looks great! I've never left the paper in but can't see that it would harm anything. When it is totally dry can you hear the crinkle of the paper?

No, the paper has dissolved.

Tartan 07-20-2013 08:21 AM

Your quilt turned out neat! There was a box of 20 at my thrift store and I bought a couple. How many did you use for a full size quilt? Should I go back and buy the rest?

justflyingin 07-20-2013 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6186916)
Your quilt turned out neat! There was a box of 20 at my thrift store and I bought a couple. How many did you use for a full size quilt? Should I go back and buy the rest?

Do you mean how many rolls of cash register tape? For this one, which is more like a twin sized quilt, about one of each...but not really that much....

bobbiesboutique 07-20-2013 08:23 AM

thats to cool love the whole idea and your quilt is beautiful

Tartan 07-20-2013 08:54 AM

Thanks, my 2 rolls should do a quilt but I think I will see if the others are still there and pick them up. How often can you get a whole box for $2?

crafty pat 07-20-2013 08:58 AM

I love your idea, the quilt is so pretty. Wonderful way to use up scraps.

MartiMorga 07-20-2013 09:11 AM

I, too, love your quilt, love the idea to use up scraps and am surprised the paper dissolved! I have been trying to organize scraps into sizes of squares and strips, maybe this would be more fun, lol.