Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Castle and Dragon baby quilt (my own design) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/castle-dragon-baby-quilt-my-own-design-t287938.html)

Sleepy Hollow 05-02-2017 04:17 AM

Castle and Dragon baby quilt (my own design)

3 Attachment(s)
I came up with the idea for this quilt when I was getting ready for work a couple months ago. A friend had asked me to make a couple baby quilts for her soon-to-be nephew, and soon-to-be mystery (niece/nephew). She hadn't specified what kind of quilt she wanted yet, so I came up with this. She wasn't so sure that either brother was into castles and dragons, so I ended up making something different for her. However, I could not let my idea of a castle and dragon quilt go...

The fabric is all cotton, except for the dragon, which is minky. I couldn't find a dragon I liked, and I'm not great at drawing, but before I was ready to give up, I found photos of two different baby-dragon statues. I combined what I liked about each version, and came up with this one.

It's about 36" x 42" (each block was cut 4" x 6"). I definitely need more practice appliqueing with my machine, but I'm really happy with how my detail stitching came out. Since I couldn't iron the minky, I had to get a little creative with how I got the dragon on there--it involved Elmer's School Glue, Glue sticks (all washable), and pinning the paper to the minky to be able to follow my detail stitch lines.

I'm a little scared to wash it, crossing my fingers the minky doesn't come apart (I did about a 1/4" zigzag around the border, hoping that works).

The women in the quilting group I go to were invaluable. I wanted the quilt to be shaped like a castle, rather than being rectangular or square. I had lots of questions about the envelope/pillowcase/birthing method and how to get things to stay still for me.

I made a few little mistakes, but I'm pretty happy about how it turned out. And now I'll do better next time.

I want to make a bigger one now :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572403[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572404[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572405[/ATTACH]

QuiltnNan 05-02-2017 04:19 AM

very nicely done. the textured minky is perfect for a dragon

Sleepy Hollow 05-02-2017 04:44 AM

Thanks :) I saw that piece of minky in the remnants bin at Joanne's and thought it was perfect.

Also, credit to kwiltr for the Elmer's glue tip.

Diane007 05-02-2017 05:13 AM

Love your quilt... great design. :)

Tartan 05-02-2017 05:21 AM

​Very cute!

popover 05-02-2017 05:37 AM

That will be some child's treasure till it falls to rags.

minibarn 05-02-2017 06:38 AM

I'm not much into dragons and castles either but I like the quilt. Looks like Puff the Magic Dragon sleeping down there.

QM 05-02-2017 06:57 AM

I love this quilt! Your dragon is a delight. I agree that it will be a treasure for some lucky child. I have trouble with zig zag or satin stitch too. My solution is to use a blanket stitch.

lynnie 05-02-2017 07:30 AM

he's so cute, like a baby dragon

Jordan 05-02-2017 07:57 AM

Very nice quilt. I like your fabric selections.