Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Chalkboard fabric placemats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/chalkboard-fabric-placemats-t269223.html)

tebill 08-25-2015 06:21 PM

Chalkboard fabric placemats

2 Attachment(s)
I found a video online which gave some information about making placemats out of chalkboard fabric. Here is the first one of six (front and back) - the other five still need binding. The fabric was shipped all folded tightly and I put the fabric out in the sun for a couple of hours to help get rid of the creases. If I made them again, I would try somehow to stretch the fabric a bit to have it lay flatter. If anyone else has used this fabric, I would appreciate your advice on using it. They were fun to make as well as quick to make!
Thanks for looking!

quiltingcandy 08-25-2015 06:26 PM

That is really cute!

Tartan 08-25-2015 07:16 PM

Cute! I wonder if a Teflon pressing sheet and a warm iron would work?

Grandma Peg 08-25-2015 07:16 PM

Very nice placemats. I used the chalk board fabric on a wallhanging and mine did the same thing.

psumom 08-25-2015 07:21 PM

I used it for placemats for kids (to take to a restaurant to keep them busy) and mine did the same thing. Also, I used the same "cocktail" fabric to make cocktail napkins for gifts!

thimblebug6000 08-25-2015 07:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made this wallhanging....sort of...for my niece but put a sleeve all the way around it and then attached a magnet strip to it so that it could be stuck to the fridge in their small condo. [ATTACH=CONFIG]528859[/ATTACH]

I used the remaining scraps as strips in placemats for the next Xmas [ATTACH=CONFIG]528860[/ATTACH]

I did use my teflon foot but I don't see how you can stop the fabric from looking a little loose because it is a "solid" type of fabric rather than a woven and you are stitching it to a cotton woven...at least I was.

tebill 08-25-2015 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7297630)
Cute! I wonder if a Teflon pressing sheet and a warm iron would work?

Thanks for your advice! So far I've pressed the fabric on the backside using a pressing cloth. While it did help somewhat, the sun did a better job.

tebill 08-25-2015 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=thimblebug6000;7297653]I made this wallhanging....sort of...for my niece but put a sleeve all the way around it and then attached a magnet strip to it so that it could be stuck to the fridge in their small condo. [ATTACH=CONFIG]528859[/ATTACH]

I used the remaining scraps as strips in placemats for the next Xmas [ATTACH=CONFIG]528860[/ATTACH]

Thanks! I love your placemats! I, too, stitched this fabric to cotton fabric and don't see how to make it look flatter.

tebill 08-25-2015 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Peg (Post 7297631)
Very nice placemats. I used the chalk board fabric on a wallhanging and mine did the same thing.

Thank you! The directions that came with this cloth said to "finger press" which I did but it's not enough. Oh, well, they will be used and the kids will have fun!

Mariposa 08-25-2015 09:01 PM

Sew fun! Great job!