Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Christmas table toppers - easy! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/christmas-table-toppers-easy-t171971.html)

JanTx 12-13-2011 06:49 PM

Christmas table toppers - easy!

5 Attachment(s)
I'm not even sure I took pictures of all the toppers/runners I've made. Walmart had cute Christmas fabric that I got after Christmas last year from 69 cents to $1.10/yard. The pattern is based on one I found on here - 5 rectangles that I made 6X10 or so - depending on how much fabric I had. Sashed with 1 1/2 inch strips (cause I had some pre-cut from another project) and added 3 1/2 inch borders - all those are before sewing sizes. I pulled the backing around for the binding. I gave these to my grandson's pre-k teachers - principal, music teacher, PE teacher, teacher and aide. I have been visiting him at school about once a month - he has Asperger's Syndrome (high functioning autism) and ... they work very hard with him. I taught with the PE teacher and the music teacher taught my son over 20 years ago. I'm also a music teacher so we travel in the same circles. All that to say that I wouldn't normally give gifts to a grandson's teacher - and didn't for my other grandson (who lives in a different town). Also have a few left for those last minute gifts.

The sashing is Moda, not Walmart. The Santa/music fabric is from fat quarters I bought at the Houston Quilt Festival last year.

sewgull 12-13-2011 06:52 PM

Very cute.

LivelyLady 12-13-2011 06:53 PM

Those are beautiful! What a thoughtful person you are.

JanTx 12-13-2011 06:59 PM

Thoughtful? Maybe. Grateful? Definately! It was just pure fun delivering these today. His class went to sing at a nursing home and I went along to ... be sure he didn't freak out. He was great. This public school pre-school classroom has 26 children in it. Can you believe? Several are challenges, but he's the challenge I love. :)

moreland 12-13-2011 08:05 PM

Such a simple pattern but beautiful results. Thanks for sharing.

Tartan 12-13-2011 08:34 PM

Your runners are beautiful! I like them all but I think I like the snowmen one best because you can use it all winter not just at Christmas. I wish our Walmart had fabric bolts. They always had the best seasonal selection before they took out the fabric last year. Is that a plastic bag of tiny Jacob's Ladder blocks I spy?

CAgirl1 12-13-2011 09:22 PM

Those are adorable!! Love the snowman one.

GrannieAnnie 12-13-2011 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx (Post 4779415)
I'm not even sure I took pictures of all the toppers/runners I've made. Walmart had cute Christmas fabric that I got after Christmas last year from 69 cents to $1.10/yard. The pattern is based on one I found on here - 5 rectangles that I made 6X10 or so - depending on how much fabric I had. Sashed with 1 1/2 inch strips (cause I had some pre-cut from another project) and added 3 1/2 inch borders - all those are before sewing sizes. I pulled the backing around for the binding. I gave these to my grandson's pre-k teachers - principal, music teacher, PE teacher, teacher and aide. I have been visiting him at school about once a month - he has Asperger's Syndrome (high functioning autism) and ... they work very hard with him. I taught with the PE teacher and the music teacher taught my son over 20 years ago. I'm also a music teacher so we travel in the same circles. All that to say that I wouldn't normally give gifts to a grandson's teacher - and didn't for my other grandson (who lives in a different town). Also have a few left for those last minute gifts.

The sashing is Moda, not Walmart. The Santa/music fabric is from fat quarters I bought at the Houston Quilt Festival last year.

Cute way to use fabric that often has a bigger pattern. And seems fairly easy to do. Thanks a million for the idea.

PhotoKevin 12-13-2011 09:46 PM

How nice of you! Rest assured, your grandson, and his educators appreciate all that you do. My sister is a music teacher as well. Amazing how music can reach AND teach people. Those look like such great gifts, and I plan to scope out Wal-Mart and JoAnns right after Christmas for some deals like you got. Great looking Jacob's Ladder blocks on your table too! Merry Christmas!

dyer804 12-13-2011 09:47 PM

Very nice and I'm sure they will be appreciated.