Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Classroom Door Curtains... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/classroom-door-curtains-t38153.html)

jetnica 02-27-2010 09:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is what I worked on today...

It's for when we have lockdown drills so we can cover our doors...

More utilitarian than pretty...

Leota 02-27-2010 09:20 PM

I like the black and white... it seems that it would be harder to see through. but then if it's quilted with three layers... I don't think anything could be seen through it. Very nice and prettier than paper bags.

lisalovesquilting 02-28-2010 02:01 AM

What a great idea. Maybe will make it a little less scary for the kids. When we had lock down drills we would gather in one corner of the room and I would read aloud. I taught first grade.

Darlene 02-28-2010 04:13 AM

So sad that these drills are even needed. Teachers are so good .

tlrnhi 02-28-2010 05:45 AM

Looks nice, but I've got to ask....what are lockdown drills?

jetnica 02-28-2010 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Looks nice, but I've got to ask....what are lockdown drills?

Lockdowns occur when there is "an active shooter in the building" or other such immediate danger. You lock your classroom door, cover all windows, and gather kids in a "safe" part of your classroom to stay quiet and calm.

My school has them often (DRILLS - not actual lockdowns) because we work with several police departments for training and such.

Our classroom doors are almost half window, and covering them with a trashbag was just a touch too tacky for me. The b/w is for my boyfriend, he requested something "manly" -- the blue one is a request from another teacher - she provided the fabric - and the "hurt your eyes" one is mine - my room is decorated with fuschia and turtles, and I just had to make something a little crazy to go with my personality!

tlrnhi 02-28-2010 06:54 AM

Ah..ok, thanks!
I guess being "out of touch" we just don't have those things here. At least none that I can remember.

jetnica 02-28-2010 06:54 AM

Sorry to double post but I gotta comment!

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
What a great idea. Maybe will make it a little less scary for the kids. When we had lock down drills we would gather in one corner of the room and I would read aloud. I taught first grade.

My kids LOVE the curtains - especially when the present projects in my class they will cover the window themselves so "people can't see them" -- I don't try to remind them there are still 15 people in the classroom.

I teach high school speech - and I LOVE it! :-D

b.zang 02-28-2010 06:59 AM

Those curtains are pretty enough to leave up all the time. Who really needs people looking in at you from the hallway, anyway?

I'm curious about speech at high school. I work in a high school and have taught speech arts, which is a language-based course with lots of oral work. What's speech as a course?

jetnica 02-28-2010 07:03 AM

My course is like an intro to the world of communications and a basic public speaking overview.

I also have a class that does all of the competition speeches (not like regular speeches at all!!), a class that focuses on persuasion, and i'm starting a class in the fall that focuses on comm theory. :lol:

I'm VERY lucky to be a high school teacher and teach these classes -- especially now in the era of "cut everything extra - focus on testing!" :roll: