Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Cleaning Grandmothers old quilt blocks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/cleaning-grandmothers-old-quilt-blocks-t101383.html)

LoisN 02-20-2011 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I have the same dilemma. I have to wash them, so that they can be pressed. I am afraid if I don't, I will press in the stains and they will be permanent :(

I am going to use a little Woolite and gently hand wash them, let them air dry :D:D:D

Good idea. That would be my advise.

JJean 02-20-2011 11:24 AM

Fabric treasures!

Stacey 02-20-2011 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I have the same dilemma. I have to wash them, so that they can be pressed. I am afraid if I don't, I will press in the stains and they will be permanent :(

I am going to use a little Woolite and gently hand wash them, let them air dry :D:D:D

Me, too. Was given a 30's top to quilt but have to wash it so I can iron it before quilting. Was thinking of the Woolite solution also.

oksewglad 02-20-2011 05:05 PM

I just came across some very dirty doll clothes made from old feed sacks. My solution is to soak them in Biz and cold water for a couple of hours-proportions as listed on the box. Then rinse again in cold water. If they still need cleaning do another soak, but now that the dirt has been soaked out it can soak for a longer period of time, ie overnight. After a final rinse in cold water, let them air dry and should be ready to use.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-20-2011 08:14 PM

Dianne, what sweet blocks!! I've washed a lot of old blocks and tops.
I would wash them before using them. That way you can see exactly what condition they are in. I would soak them though, not the washer. Oxyclean is good stuff.
Let us know what you do!

winia 02-21-2011 06:29 AM

I would hand wash them in a mild detergent and let them dry
naturally. I would not put them in a washing machine, even on the delicate cycle, nor would I put them in a dryer. Putting a stabilizer or some lining fabric on the back of the block might help to anchor it and make it stronger.

Good luck with them. (P.S. Something forty years old is not
old.) LOL

oksewglad 02-21-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Dianne, what sweet blocks!! I've washed a lot of old blocks and tops.
I would wash them before using them. That way you can see exactly what condition they are in. I would soak them though, not the washer. Oxyclean is good stuff.
Let us know what you do!

Yes I have soaked with Oxyclean as well. Another product to use is Orvus--the gentle soap to wash quilts in. Originally sold as livestock shampoo used for getting ready for exhibitions and fairs. All products mentioned should not harm the fibers of your blocks. Good luck!

mhuskins1 02-22-2011 05:48 AM

Wash by hand in sink with gental soap, pushing on them no twisting !!!lay on towel to pat dry, iron on very low heat just to get the wrinkles out and frame them all !!! Wall quilt !!!! Several gifts !!!!

nana2 02-22-2011 06:30 AM

Several months ago Martha Pullen spoke about how she cleans those antique clothes she collects. It involved having a bucket that she let them soak in and if I remember correctly she used Biz. As many colors as there seem to be, you will need to consider that some might "run" and separate them. Before sewing together I would soak them to remove the stains and then gently rinse until the water is clear. Then using either either spray starch or sizing I would press them. Remember that the spray starch would need to be washed out after the quilt is finished because moths like starch.

ginnie6 02-22-2011 06:36 AM

when I found my Grannie's Sunbonnet Sue blocks they HAD to be washed! They're about the same age as yours. I washed them by hand in the sink with ivory soap then rolled them up in a towel to get extra water out. They came amazingly clean and it didn't hurt them. I've put quite a few of them into quilts now and they're holding up well despite their age.