Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Comfort quilt for forest fire victim (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/comfort-quilt-forest-fire-victim-t268891.html)

QM 08-17-2015 10:09 PM

Comfort quilt for forest fire victim

A forest fire is raging in our community. I made this quilt intending it to be a comfort quilt. Now it will have greater meaning. Our guild gives comfort quilts for any in our community in need of them.

DOTTYMO 08-17-2015 10:10 PM

Picture has gone up in flames.

QM 08-17-2015 10:17 PM

the pix

2 Attachment(s)
oops, I forgot the pictures.
My original plan was to make a table topper but my DH suggested something larger and more practical. A friend quilted it. The back is purple corduroy, which stretched on the LA, making a very cuddly surface when it went back down in size.

Several families lost their homes, including a fire fighter, in the initial 40 wildfires started by lightning. With the forest bone dry and any dead trees, we will have heavy smoke and fire danger until "at least December", according to the National Forest reps.

Maureen NJ 08-18-2015 03:44 AM

Quilt is very nice. I am so sorry for what your area is going through. I can't even imagine.

luvstoquilt 08-18-2015 04:25 AM

Nice quilt. I can't imagine what you are going through either.

QUILTNMO 08-18-2015 04:40 AM

beautiful !!!

roguequilter 08-18-2015 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by QM (Post 7289467)
A forest fire is raging in our community. I made this quilt intending it to be a comfort quilt. Now it will have greater meaning. Our guild gives comfort quilts for any in our community in need of them.

which northern ca fire are you in? we are presently surrounded by fires in mountains & columbia gorge, not threatened by flames, but engulphed in smoke. hubby is native of humboldt & trinity counties in norcal. we are in frequent contact w friends & family. so far no homes lost, no injuries or worse. this summer worse that last for wildfires.

roguequilter 08-18-2015 05:11 AM

what a beautiful quilt! reminder of the spring blooms that will emerge from the ashes.

nanna-up-north 08-18-2015 05:16 AM

What a wonderful someone will have.... so kind of you to do this.

We have been watching the news with reports of all the fires going on in the West this summer.... awful!! Some of the fire fighters from Michigan are out West right now trying to help out. More will be headed that way soon. Mother nature can sure take a nasty streak at times..... lightening can start some nasty business. Stay safe.

QM 08-18-2015 06:40 AM

thank you all.
We are safe so far. For a week, we had our car packed for evacuation. Trinity County is very dry. We are right down the road from the fairgrounds, which is now rented through December by the Forest Service as a base camp.

I know my guild will be making many quilts for those with a need of the comfort they provide. I will be making more.