Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   competition for fabric from an 8 yr old (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/competition-fabric-8-yr-old-t53845.html)

mom-6 07-11-2010 03:10 AM

I love the intent look on her face in the one where she's closing the opening on the beautiful purple pillow!

beachlady 07-11-2010 03:26 AM

That is so sweet. She looks so intent and also looks like she is doing a wonderful job.

I know what you mean about questions - when my GD was younger it was non-stop questions about whatever I was doing - I would be exhausted by the end of the day!!!!

Lori L 07-11-2010 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
this might also be a good opportunity to teach her the concept of work in exchange for things wanted. let her also help you with household chores and "pay" her from your stash. ;-)

Now that is a great idea....you might be really surprised how much you get in exchange for the "priceless treasure stash" LOL

Ramona Byrd 07-11-2010 06:53 AM

she asks ALOT
"why do you keep ironing"
"how do you know where to cut"
"why do you put so many pins in it"
---------------------------------------------
Feel blessed that she is so intelligent and interested
in such a hobby. And as for the constant questions...
our youngest son was a gifted child who nearly drove
us mad with constant wanting to know. But the school
authorities told us that was one of the signs of a highly
intelligent person.

You have a marvelous chance to guide this child's interests
in a good way. Bless you for taking the time for being her
idol. And be sure to repeatedly remind her how smart she
is to take up such an adult hobby. We may hear her name
in later years as a top quilt or fashion designer.

b.zang 07-11-2010 07:00 AM

She is just so cute, concentrating so hard to get that pillow closed.
Here's to the future!!!

0tis 07-11-2010 07:08 AM

That is wonderful - she is learning at such a young age - this will help her for many years. Have fun and keep sewing.

wvdek 07-11-2010 07:23 AM

Keep encouraging her.

sweet 07-11-2010 07:47 AM

Great Thread! I just love her concentration. I think she might need to start her own stash because it looks like she is in it for a long long time! Give her a hug for me!

littlehud 07-11-2010 08:27 AM

Share it with her. My DGD loves fabric. She is 7. She was working on a quilt of her own and couldn't find a color in her little stash. Asked if she could look through my fat quarters. (I have six plastic shoe boxes full by my machine) Sure honey. She picked one and than asked how many she could have. I told her as many as she wanted......"quilters share." When I took her to the fabric store a couple of weeks later we both picked out some fabric. They asked her which was mine and which was hers. She said "it doesn't matter. They are both of ours because quilters share. " They loved it.

GrammaNan 07-11-2010 08:40 AM

She did a great job! I would however consider a locking cabinet for my favorite fabric for now. LOL. You may be able to pay her in fabric for little jobs around the house.