Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Controlled Scrappy Quilt [Stash Buster] (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/controlled-scrappy-quilt-%5Bstash-buster%5D-t296301.html)

Sheep Farmer 04-18-2018 04:36 AM

Controlled Scrappy Quilt [Stash Buster]

1 Attachment(s)
I grabbed my hefty bag of scraps, bits 'n pieces and started sewing them together. I figured I could use up All of my scraps.

Ha!

I don't think I even made a dent in the scrap pile! What's up with that!?!

I did not use any foundation for the blocks; however, I had some old adding machine tape laying around and used it to sew pieces for the border. That was a huge help when it came time to trimming since I didn't have to worry about measuring! The adding machine tape was already 2-inches.

I used my Hanging Gardens pattern (from Cozy Quilt Designs) for the layout. I had to do some math (ouch) for the setting triangles since my 7-inch scrappy blocks were smaller than what the pattern calls for.

I really, really enjoyed sewing all the bits 'n pieces together to make the blocks. It was very relaxing sewing. I ended up making about 50 blocks very quickly. Just a bit disheartening to make that many blocks and look down at the pile of scrap and realize that there is just as much scrap fabric as when I started . . . maybe more!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593126[/ATTACH]

feline fanatic 04-18-2018 04:42 AM

What an awesome scrappy stash buster! I love how you tied it all together using solid white background and solid black to frame the blocks and make the hanging beads. Using the hanging garden layout was genius. And I love how you framed it all in scrappy piano keys. Great inspiration.

redstilettos 04-18-2018 04:45 AM

I love the quilt. And I agree with your dilemma about the scraps. I have made several scrap quilts and I always think I'll run out, only to find I swear they are multiplying behind my back!

I love the actual pattern you used. The black and white to control it all is beautiful and your border rocks! Brilliant use of adding machine tape! I think I have some of that...yellowing...in my basement. I think I might actually pull that out now!

QuiltnNan 04-18-2018 05:27 AM

nicely done

Annaquilts 04-18-2018 05:36 AM

I am normally not as fond of scrappies with the blocks sewn that random but this one is awesome. You made a beautiful quilt.

sewbizgirl 04-18-2018 05:40 AM

Fabulous scrappy quilt! Love the pretty setting you used... :thumbup:

PaperPrincess 04-18-2018 05:40 AM

I love everything about this quilt! I agree with FF, the use of black & white really ties it all together. I do think that your scraps 'fluff up' when you start digging into that bag, so it looks like there's more than when you started.
I've been staring at the corner stones... is that embroidery, or a piece of print fabric with a black background that you framed with more black, or ???

NZquilter 04-18-2018 05:43 AM

Looks lovely! The black ties the scraps perfectly. Well done.

mtkoldra 04-18-2018 06:07 AM

you did a great job on this scrappy quilt, love this pattern!

Mariposa 04-18-2018 06:18 AM

Such a pretty and colorful top! The white background, and the black really set off all your scraps. Great border too.
Your fun shoes match the top! ;)