Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   A couple of small projects finished (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/couple-small-projects-finished-t90946.html)

Rose_P 01-15-2011 10:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These were both made for a sweet friend who is recovering from mastectomy and reconstruction surgery. I was told about the heart pillows by a member of our book club whose church group had made some. The idea is that a woman recovering from this surgery needs something between her arms and the tender area in order to avoid unnecessary bumping and pain. I was looking around for something in my stash to use, and came upon a UFO. The piecing was done several years ago with the idea that it would be a cover for a bread machine, but the bread machine failed before it ever got done. It just happened to be about the right size for two pillow tops, and everything else I needed was in my stash, too, including a couple of zippers and squares of lavender twill for the backs. I did not take a lot of time with these because my friend will be needing them very soon. Using a walking foot and a wavy built-in stitch on my machine, I quilted them in a matter of minutes (and I'm afraid it looks it to anyone who is serious about quilting). It is such a relief to do something worthwhile from a UFO.

The other picture has nothing to do with quilting. Our little group wanted to send flowers but we were told that the patient's room is currently so full of medical equipment there is no space. So the flowers will go later. Meanwhile we decided to cheer her up with life size butterflies hand cut from old greeting cards. We wrote little notes on the blank sides. 10 women churned out 64 of them in very little time. I sewed them onto 3 9-ft pieces of ribbon and luckily realized early on that if I cut the threads a little long at the head ends, they'd have feelers. I pulled the bobbin thread to the top and then anchored the threads with little round bling stickers to make heads. It was a quick project, adaptable to many different purposes, and it was ideal for our need to cheer up our friend and yet not interfere with the limited space in the room. It could be pinned to curtains, draped through blinds or possibly draped over the TV support or taped to the wall with painter's tape, and then it can go home with her without being too bulky or heavy.

Just thought I'd share. I'm really enjoying the QB - joined right after I stumbled into it.

Heart Pillows for a Friend
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161245[/ATTACH]

Recycled Greeting Card Butterfly Garland
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161246[/ATTACH]

Cyn 01-15-2011 10:50 PM

Very nice!

annieshane 01-15-2011 10:51 PM

These are such thoughtful gifts. I really would have like to have a similar pillow after my surgery. She will really appreciate them.

fleurdelisquilts.com 01-15-2011 10:54 PM

You are a thoughtful friend and I know she loves you. I'll be thinking of her and praying for a swift recovery. I knew someone who had a mastectomy a couple years ago....wish I'd know about the heart pillows. I've have gladly made some for her. But, thank God, she is recovered now.

NancyG 01-15-2011 10:55 PM

Those are sooo cute. I used a small pillow that was given to me by the American Cancer Society. And although I really appreciated it and made my recovery more comfortable, they were no where near as cute as these. Love them. Nice job and very kind of you to make and donate.

marilynr 01-16-2011 02:04 AM

I, too, was given small pillow after breast cancer surgery & it was a big help.

But your heart with the shape will help it fit perfectly under the arm where the dip in the heart occurs. How
clever you are. And the butterflies are a wonderful idea.
She will heal quickly with all your friendships.

reach for the stars 2 01-16-2011 03:55 AM

Very thoughtful and very pretty

paintedquilt 01-16-2011 07:49 AM

Sweet :-P

QUILTNMO 01-16-2011 08:02 AM

VERY NICE IM IN A GROUP WE MAKE BREAST PILLOWS FOR WOMEN WHO HAVE BREAST SURGERY

hperttula123 01-16-2011 08:48 AM

that is so sweet of you. the pillows are really nice :)