Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Crayolas: Log Cabin WIP (finished quilt top on page six) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/crayolas-log-cabin-wip-finished-quilt-top-page-six-t26875.html)

Ethel A 10-11-2009 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm doing something new and different to me. Usually, I use muted colors in my quilts (along the lines of reproduction fabric). I found a fun pattern in the April/May 2009 Fons & Porter Love of Quilting magazine called "Seams of Opal." I don't really have any scraps for this quilt, so I went out and bought 1/4 yard each of bright, bright fabrics of all kinds (39 different fabrics in all). I won't use up all of the fabric since this is only a 74" x 74" quilt, but that means I'll just have some leftover for another fun project, right? This is my WIP, so far (only 30 blocks, so far). It'll have 100 log cabin blocks in the end, and 8" wide white borders. Each log cabin block measures 5 1/2" x 5 1/2". It is turning out to be a fun quilt to work on; and it's keeping me preoccupied while I search for a new job. There's not much else to do between sending out resumes, following up, and doing some research on the Internet.

*** Side note: If you don't have bright scraps, like me, don't overlook the clearance fabrics at your lqs or at the chain stores. When you are only buying 1/4 yard, and clearance fabric is sometimes $1.50 - $2.00 / yard, you can whip up a quilt like this for next to nothing.

Ninnie 10-11-2009 09:17 AM

Very bright and pretty!

mrsj82 10-11-2009 09:31 AM

how cute!

grammy Dwynn 10-11-2009 09:35 AM

Really nice, love the brights.

I have some left over brights that I was trying to figure out how to use up. Thanks for the idea.

justwannaquilt 10-11-2009 09:38 AM

Isn't it nice to move out and away from the norm./confort zone? It looks beautiful already! I can't wait to see it finished!

I love buying 1/8 or 1/4 yards for "scrappy" projects. exp. when you can find eight or nine dollar fabric on sale and then you buy just a tiny smiggen, not only fun but fairly cheap also! Or wait till fat quarters go on sale and buy several, do this a couple time and you can get a couple quilts out of them. lol

jojo47 10-11-2009 09:47 AM

Awesome quilt! It would be a fun one to put in a little girl's room...I've beentrying to think of a pattern for my little granddaughter...Thanks to your idea I can picture one in bright pinks and lavenders.

Jojo

joeyoz 10-11-2009 09:50 AM

It's looking great. I love all the bright colors. Keep us posted on the progress. Would love to see it when it is done. :D :D :D

ranger 10-11-2009 09:56 AM

Oh yeah, I like it!

I also need to do something bright for a change, as I've been using a lot of muted colors over the past few months.

ranger

Lisanne 10-11-2009 09:57 AM

That is going to be a charmer of a quilt!

crkathleen 10-11-2009 10:19 AM

Your quilt looks beautiful!