Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Crazy Quilt from antique hankies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/crazy-quilt-antique-hankies-t191083.html)

elaine80 06-07-2012 09:21 AM

Crazy Quilt from antique hankies

3 Attachment(s)
I had this box of old hankies...some belonged to my Grandmother, some to my Mother and others that I had just collected from garage sales etc. I was trying to figure out what to do with them. They were too pretty to be discarded and so I decided to make a quilt from them. That way maybe they wouldn't get tossed out when I am gone. Sure enough.. everyone who sees this quilt wants this quilt ...another problem to solve! One of the hankies was sent to me by a pen pal I had when I was 13 or 14 years old. We lost touch many years ago. I am including a picture of the block that I put that one in. It has her embroidery that says "to Dear Ruth, Mildred". Wouldn't it be wonderful if she should happen to be a member of this board and recognize it!
I really enjoyed making this quilt and quilting it too, even though it took me quite a long time to do it. Hope you all enjoy looking. [ATTACH=CONFIG]340418[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]340420[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]340421[/ATTACH]

heart of Dixie 06-07-2012 10:21 AM

Oh my that is beautiful, I have a collection of hankies that I have been wanting to make a quilt out of. My pattern is for one hankie per block sewed down on muslin. The each block is pieced together. I like your so much better what size are your blocks, sashing and boarders ? I would love to make one like this. Great job.

Nanaquilts44 06-07-2012 10:32 AM

You did a beautiful, beautiful job in making this quilt. What a wonderful way to display these lovely hankies where they can be enjoyed. I just love it!

bobbieking 06-07-2012 10:35 AM

Beautiful..not crazy at all. Love it. Job well done.

elaine80 06-07-2012 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by heart of Dixie (Post 5271830)
Oh my that is beautiful, I have a collection of hankies that I have been wanting to make a quilt out of. My pattern is for one hankie per block sewed down on muslin. The each block is pieced together. I like your so much better what size are your blocks, sashing and boarders ? I would love to make one like this. Great job.

I cut 11 1/2 inch blocks of muslin, then just cut the hankies and fitted them randomly using ribbon, laces and other trims as well as fancy stitches from my machine. Then I trimmed them down to 10 1/2 inch blocks and used a 3 inch (finished size) sashing .

quiltingcandy 06-07-2012 10:46 AM

It is wonderful. How many hankies did you use?

Tweety2911 06-07-2012 11:37 AM

Enjoyed your story very much and admire your beautiful hankie quilt! Great Job!

mhansen6 06-07-2012 11:45 AM

Absolutely beautiful.

dhanke 06-07-2012 11:45 AM

Just simply the most appealing hankie quilt I've ever seen. And I should know, my name is Diane Hanke!

liont 06-07-2012 12:05 PM

This is going to be a family treasure!
Very exquisite.