Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Crumb quilt finish! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/crumb-quilt-finish-t216766.html)

GailG 03-19-2013 01:00 PM

I love it -- especially the sashings. It seems that the narrow orange sashing was done around each block and then the blocks sashed with the yellow sashings. Then the top stitching was done down the center of the orange sashing? The yellow and orange sashings really make the crumbs blend together. Are the blocks pieced with a foundation?

Jingle 03-19-2013 01:39 PM

Beautiful quilt.

sewaholic 03-19-2013 01:40 PM

Love it. Great choice of sashings really makes it zing.

Rose S. 03-19-2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sheepshed (Post 5939137)
Both the orange first and golden-yellow secondary sashings make those blocks really super attractive. I was wondering, the orange sashings *within the blocks* looks like it was stitched down the middle once, horizontally and vertically, but it doesnt show up on the back,,,I was wonderng, is the orange sashing a stripe possibly ?

No, it is quilting...and it does show. If you will look closely, you will see the two parallel lines in the sashing...then about 6 inches below you will see the parallel line that is in that orangy strip of fabric...and the other is perpendicular to it. But at first looking at them, they may just appear to be an 'x' to you.

Rose S. 03-19-2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Raine54RN (Post 5939433)
It is so pretty, why is it calked a crumb quilt? Is there a formal way to put it together? I love the idea of " Mindless sewing ".

No, no formal way of piecing them...just add where you want to add. Some of mine are almost built log cagin still, and others close to rail fence...just whatever I can get to fit.

helou 03-19-2013 02:12 PM

It is great. love it
I have many small crumb blocks and I am looking at a way of putting them all together. yours is a real inspiration. I want to try QAYG I guess it can be done. Did you machine quilt it?

Rose S. 03-19-2013 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by helou (Post 5939595)
It is great. love it
I have many small crumb blocks and I am looking at a way of putting them all together. yours is a real inspiration. I want to try QAYG I guess it can be done. Did you machine quilt it?

Yes, it is machine quilted on my Juki 98Q.

Rose S. 03-19-2013 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by GailG (Post 5939440)
I love it -- especially the sashings. It seems that the narrow orange sashing was done around each block and then the blocks sashed with the yellow sashings. Then the top stitching was done down the center of the orange sashing? The yellow and orange sashings really make the crumbs blend together. Are the blocks pieced with a foundation?

No, no foundation... I just piece enough together to be able to cut the square out. I used a 6 ½ inch ruler for these, but you could use any size you wanted.

Annaquilts 03-19-2013 02:19 PM

Hmmm..lovely. I really like what you did with the orange and yellow sashing. Great job!

Mariposa 03-19-2013 02:22 PM

What a terrific crumb quilt! Like the yellow/orange sashings too! :)