Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   C'ton Numpa's Star Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/cton-numpas-star-quilt-t145869.html)

CristyK1 08-17-2011 01:17 PM

Becka are you Lakota? My son's bio father was Ojibwe and my son loves anything to do with Native Americans. I will have to pass on your story and quilt picture to him.

Sierra 08-17-2011 01:17 PM

Gee, I'll finish it for you.... but don't expect it back! :>)

Becka 08-17-2011 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by CristyK1
Becka are you Lakota? My son's bio father was Ojibwe and my son loves anything to do with Native Americans. I will have to pass on your story and quilt picture to him.

No, Cristy, I'm not Lakota. Two Hawks says I have "Rappatamokee" blood - Rappahannock, Tamaroa, and Cherokee - but that's covers almost 400 years of my genealogy, which also includes German, Scots, Irish, Nordic and Saxon blood. (And that's just on my dad's side!!) I'm actually a mutt, I guess :) But my friend is Lakota, and I thought it might mean more to him if I honored him in the way of his People. I don't really have a "People" (or else I have too many People?) so don't really have any cultural traditions regarding gratitude. A card, I guess, but in the scope of things, that seemed kind of lame :)

I don't know how old your son is, but the tradition of quilts among the First People is fascinating and tragic at the same time, if he wanted to research it :)

tealfalcon 08-17-2011 01:26 PM

wow thats a stunning quilt..and a very touching story. sorry for your loss.

Becka 08-17-2011 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra
Gee, I'll finish it for you.... but don't expect it back! :>)

lol. Thanks Sierra. I can do it, and I know I can do it, but this is my second pieced quilt in my entire life (I didn't know denim counted, and I don't really consider my denims to be "quilts" on par with what I've seen here as all I did was sew a bunch of flannel and denim squares together.) As such, it's easy to feel overwhelmed by the project. I knew the folks here would be encouraging and make me want to show them the finished product :) It worked. I can't wait to get home tonight!

Becka 08-17-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by tinliz
What a beautiful tradition. So sorry for the loss of your mother. It is always difficult when someone close to you dies. I would think making a gift for someone special would give focus and purpose to your life.
Your quilt is beautiful, both front and back. Keep at it and you will get it done.

It actually has helped. There was a lot of drama from the family so there's a lot of baggage, and making these gifts has helped refocus what could be a lot of negative energy into something positive and productive. I've made other things for the other folks, too, that fit them. I.e., two of the pall bearers are drummers, so I made them quilted case thingies to carry their sticks in, casserole carriers for the ladies who do a lot of pot lucks - things that I knew they could use or that they wanted, or fit with their own hobbies or lifestyles. It's been a good part of the healing process.

fixfido 08-17-2011 01:46 PM

This is just spectacular!

debcavan 08-17-2011 01:59 PM

The quilt is so wonderful. It is a kind thoughtful tradition

wolfkitty 08-17-2011 02:07 PM

What a lovely tradition and a gorgeous quilt for your friend! My sympathies on the loss of your mother, and I'm glad you have someone to help you! You are very fortunate. Keep up the good work!

tazzyjj 08-17-2011 02:10 PM

That is a VERY nice quilt...oh my...wish I had that talent!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: