Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Curbside Shopping (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/curbside-shopping-t122062.html)

Zappycat 05-11-2011 08:06 AM

Good for you! I would have grabbed it too!

Krystyna 05-11-2011 08:10 AM

When you use these fabrics -- and many of them are heavier -- do you use batting to quilt purses?

Boni53 05-11-2011 08:40 AM

Great recycling. I have a question. How do you clean fabric from these books? I have many, but have not used them because of cleaning. Thanks for your help.

Krystyna 05-11-2011 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Boni53
Great recycling. I have a question. How do you clean fabric from these books? I have many, but have not used them because of cleaning. Thanks for your help.

If I'm using them for any kind of quilt, I cut off the cardboard with pinking shears and toss them into the washing machine on gentle cycle. Then it all gets hung up outside on my clothesline. I figure if it can't take a washing machine, what good is it? BTW, I am someone who laughs at those "Dry Clean Only" tags! Haven't had a problem yet.

JoyjoyMarie 05-11-2011 09:13 AM

Our quilting group for 8 years used bunches of fabric samples from books like those. Mostly we made lap quilts to be donated to Seniors at the nursing homes, then also some tote bags. We washed almost everything before we sent it out, and were amazed that it all came out so well- It just wasn't a problem! Have lots of fun with your stuff!

bebe 05-11-2011 09:15 AM

I like to dumpster dive and find free treasures!!!!

AnitaSt 05-11-2011 09:21 AM

Great find. I used to live in Austin where recycling was cool way back when. We knew to cruise the better neighborhoods on "bulky trash day" for treasures! Folks who put things out are always glad to see them reused. I scored some gorgeous custom window blinds that way.

About the samples...the first quilt my Mother made was a log cabin and many of the fabrics came from sample books for dressmaking fabric. My aunt worked at a fabric wholesale house and gave her sample books...lots of coordinated prints.

charity-crafter 05-11-2011 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by kathome
No curbside shopping where I live. Several homes share a small round dumpster that's on the service road at the end of the back yard. I'd have to literally crawl into a dumpster to see what's there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I lived in an apartment that had dumpsters, people would leave insteresting stuff out so people could take it if they wanted. It was great fun when people would move out, everyone would check out the area outside the dumpster. As long as it was kept neat no body complained about it being junky.

GrammaBabs 05-11-2011 09:49 AM

ohhh good for you,,, and these are "vintage" prints....
i worked in the home dec section of a local fabric store for years.... the owner was "throwing" out all the old books... and said... if you want them... their yours... we are talking 20 or more and over the years... i can't imagine... it's a lot of work getting hem cut out, but they do make wonderful "patchwork " bags" and many other things... enjoy!!!!

TexasGurl 05-11-2011 10:20 AM

How cool ! these are great vintage prints ! Have fun with them :)