Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Cute Owls Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/cute-owls-fabric-t39397.html)

nursie76 03-13-2010 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I love your owls. It does look like retro fabric, but I like retro. What are you going to make out of it?

Not really sure just yet. Maybe a summer tote, a lunch bag, I hope if I let it lay out where I can see it, it will speak to me. :-)

Chasing Hawk 03-13-2010 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Cute fabric, but I won't bring that into my house. In my culture the owl is bad juju, means someone is going to die or bad things are heading one's way.

Very interesting. I think in my culture, it has always meant wisdom.

My culture is the Ojibwa Indians

Some Native American cultures link owls with supernatural knowledge and divination. In the Menominee myth of The Origin of Night and Day, Wapus (rabbit) encounters Totoba (the saw-whet owl, Aegolious acadicus) and the two battle for daylight (wabon) and darkness (unitipaqkot) by repeating those words. Totoba errs and repeats "wabon" and daylight wins, but Wapus permits that night should also have a chance for the benefit of the conquered, and thus day and night were born. The Pawnees view the owl as a symbol of protection; the Ojibwa, a symbol of evil and death, as well as a symbol of very high status of spiritual leaders of their religion; and the Pueblo, associated with Skeleton Man, the god of death and spirit of fertility. On a warm afternoon in August 1985, one of the authors (DHJ) observed Ojibwa peoples at a weekend cultural celebration in Duluth, Minnesota using dried wings of Great Horned Owls (Bubo virginianas) as hand-held fans to cool themselves after participating in native dances.

In his book on "Mother Earth Spirituality," McGaa (1990) described the four directions of the Sacred Hoop (the four quarters with the power of earth and sky and all related life) of Native Americans. In this description, the Snowy Owl represents the North and the north wind. The traditional Oglala Sioux Indians (from central North America) admired the Snowy Owl, and warriors who had excelled in combat were allowed to wear a cap of owl feathers to signify their bravery. An old-time society of the Sioux was called The Owl Lodge. This society believed that nature forces would favor those who wore owl feathers and, as a result, their vision would become increased. The owl is a good example of a creature that possesses special powers not found in other animals (McGaa 1990).

Some Native American nations in the U.S. have strong taboos against owls. For example, the Apaches view the owl as the most feared of all creatures (Opler 1965). In 1997, a spokesperson for the Apache told one of us (PMC) about the deep taboo against owls. Historically, Apaches shared the widespread Athabascan fears of owls as the embodied spirit of Apache dead. John Bourke, in his "Apache Campaign in the Sierra Madre," related a famous story of how Apache scouts tracking Geronimo became terrified when one of the U.S. soldiers found and brought along a Great Horned Owl. The scouts told Bourke that it was a bird of ill omen and that they could not hope to capture the Chiricahua renegades if they took the bird with them. The soldier had to leave the owl behind (Bourke 1958).

In another example, the consortium of Yakama tribes in Washington State in the U.S. use the owl as a powerful totem. Such taboos or totems often guide where and how forests and natural resources are used and managed, even to this day and even with the proliferation of "scientific" forestry on Native American lands.

taken from this page
http://www.owlpages.com/articles.php...Culture&page=3

nursie76 03-13-2010 07:24 PM

Wow! What a wealth of information. I am always fascinated by different cultures. Having an understanding of how different cultural beliefs and practices and especially how they view health, sickness and death is an important part of nursing practice.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Chasing Hawk 03-13-2010 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Wow! What a wealth of information. I am always fascinated by different cultures. Having an understanding of how different cultural beliefs and practices and especially how they view health, sickness and death is an important part of nursing practice.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

your welcome.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-19-2010 04:47 PM

love it