Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Denim and Corduroy Quilt mom started (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/denim-corduroy-quilt-mom-started-t2441.html)

redrummy 09-23-2007 07:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This was a Denim and Corduroy Quilt my mom started, but never got to finish. After we went thru her stuff, and I took the quilting/sewing stuff, I found it. So I decide to finish it for my son. I had to buy some jeans from a thrift shop to get denim to make it big enough. He has a king sized bed. I backed it with more corduroy from her stash, cut and pieced to fit.

Me and my son when he got his quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3198[/ATTACH]

the back, it doesn't show real well, just enough to get the idea
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3200[/ATTACH]

Celeste 09-23-2007 07:51 PM

Isn't it nice to be able to share a project with your Mom? Your son looks pretty pleased, and I don't blame him! A two generation quilt, and nice looking to boot!

live2teach 09-23-2007 07:54 PM

Aww, how nice to be able to share something...especially making a quilt with your mom. That is one special quilt! You did a great job finishing it.

amma 09-23-2007 11:01 PM

Beautiful Quilt :) I am sure your Mom is very pleased with how you finished it :-) I bet your son really appreciates it too on cold winter nights :D

kathy 09-24-2007 07:49 AM

how nice that you were able to do a joint project with your mom , I'm sorry she's gone, I'll bet that is one warm quilt.

redrummy 09-24-2007 08:06 PM

thanks for all the nice things everyone said. My son says it is nice and warm.
I know she would be happy knowing I finished it and gave it to her grandson.

Deb :mrgreen:

nanabirdmo 09-25-2007 05:35 AM

love your and mom's quilt. i know she is pleased. just a quick question. did you use batting? and is the quilt heavy? i have a lot of denim i need to use up and i love the idea of using courderoy with it. is it hard to work with? i am just picking your brain this morning.
thanks for sharing.

redrummy 09-25-2007 07:13 AM

Thanks for the good words. no, I did not use batting because I knew it would be heavy since the back piece and part mom started were already heavy. It was fairly easy to sew,I sewed it row by row, the only problem was when sewing the stips together, the seams were thick. So I walked the machine over them, going slow and careful to not break the needle. I enjoyed doing it, just remember if you turn one corduroy square, turn 1/2 of them so it looks like it was meant to be. I didn't pay attention to that, and wish I had. The corduroy backing wasn't big enough, so I pieced 2 colors, giving it an intentional look. it sewed together easy. instead of worrying about binding, I sewed the two halves together right sides inside, turned it inside out and sewed 1/2 inch in from edge all the way around it.
Deb :mrgreen:

mimisharon 09-25-2007 08:37 AM

Wonderful quilt! I just know it made your loss easier knowing that you were working on something she had begun. It will last years and years!
Great job!!

vicki reno 09-25-2007 10:57 AM

I have 3 quilt tops and lots of pieces for another one from my mother in law. I hope someday to be able to do them up in quilts for my grandkids. That way they will have something of hers even though they never really knew her.
I like yours, especially the oclors. You did a good job :!: :thumbup: