Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   DH's First Sewing Project Ever (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/dhs-first-sewing-project-ever-t6146.html)

Cordelia 05-02-2008 04:37 AM

Wow, that's positively inspiring. I have been awfully intimidated by those mariner stars. I've looked longingly at them and enviously at others' works, but never tried it.

And this is the guy's first try? If he can do it, surely I can!

It's beautiful. I can see how the men might be attracted to that design. I'm thinking they may have "geometric" leaning perception and might find complex geometric designs appealing.

My dad comes in and always examines the stuff we make. I sew with my mom. It's no fun to sit and sew at home by myself. He likes to sit with graph paper and design geometric blocks and then he wants us to sew them together to see how they look.

I don't think he's interested in sewing, but he's very interested in the stuff we turn out.

Lucky Patsy's 05-02-2008 11:48 AM

Hooray! Another convert! Please pass my compliments on to your husband on a beautiful block!

sajackson 06-29-2009 04:36 AM

HOLY COW....a man who knows his way around power tools AND fabric...I'm totally impressed!

Tell him that M.compass is WONDERFUL!

RedGarnet222 06-29-2009 04:58 AM

:-o :-o :-o What he did this on his first try? What a great start to a great hobby. I am curious, how did this all start? He saw yours?

Great job doyle!

pittsburgpam 06-29-2009 05:33 AM

That is so beautiful and I'm so jealous. I've shown my work to my man-friend and he doesn't have very much to say about it. If he made something I'd be praising him to high heaven just because I care.

mary705 06-29-2009 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
That is so beautiful and I'm so jealous. I've shown my work to my man-friend and he doesn't have very much to say about it. If he made something I'd be praising him to high heaven just because I care.

It's a man thing, my DH is like that
Great work Doyle

mary705 06-29-2009 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Rereading this old post makes me feel kind of guilty, because my DH has expressed an interest in quilting and I keep discouraging him. Am I too awful? I just love the privacy and quiet of my sewing room.

You need to have your "me" time Loretta

Let your DH try while you are out, or have him get his own machine if he does take to it

Roben 06-29-2009 05:54 AM

Red, it all started because as he was watching me paper piece mine, he made the comment "That doesn't look hard at all" - so naturally, I made him put his money where his mouth was :twisted: He found out it wasn't as easy as he thought it was, but he stuck with it :D He still says that is the only day he ever skipped dinner :lol:

Loretta, don't feel guilty - we all need our own space. When DH helped me with some binding, I set him up in the Dining Room, not my sewing room :twisted: I hit the Joann's notions wall sale and bought a duplicate set of basic tools so we're not reaching for the same thing. DH is collecting blue fabrics (for a quilt that apparently is still in his head!) so I keep his collection in it's own tub and out of my way (okay, so I don't use it!) I honestly don't think it's ever occurred to him to actually share my sewing room - either that, or he's afraid that if he asked I'd turn right around and commandeer his saws :lol: :lol:

Esqmommy 06-29-2009 05:55 AM

Okay - either extreme beginner's luck or he has a future in this art!! Did he enjoy the process?? How fun. I'm impressed with his project. Tempts me to make one too, just to hang as a little walll hanging. Where was the PP from? Just a book or online?

I'm sort of torn about whether I would want DH in on this. I kinda like having my own thing. It's bad enough he thinks his opinions about how the house is pulled together matter...I can't imagine him giving me input about a quilt that isn't along the lines of "wow, that's great"!! I think I'd flip a lid if he tried to tell me how to do one better!!! But, it would be nice to have a friend to quilt with. hmmm....naw, think I'll stick with this group.

littlehud 06-29-2009 08:39 AM

That is beautiful. He is a natural.