Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Diamond Log Cabin Star Finished--Hand Quilted (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/diamond-log-cabin-star-finished-hand-quilted-t218889.html)

Nammie to 7 04-13-2013 06:47 PM

Very nice.

Pepsi Girl 04-13-2013 06:50 PM

That is a very adventurous first quilt, beautiful job!

nananurse 04-13-2013 07:13 PM

WOW that is one gorgeous quilt!!

solstice3 04-13-2013 08:19 PM

Great quilt!

Auntie B 04-13-2013 08:42 PM

Very Stunning.... and your amish friend did a abfab job of hand quilting....thanks for posting.

MothrNatr 04-13-2013 09:37 PM

Nice piecing and beautiful quilting....wish I could see it up close!

jmoore 04-14-2013 03:28 AM

What a beautiful quilt, and wonderful colors! You must be very pleased... thank you for sharing.

javin22 04-14-2013 06:37 AM

That is fantastic!! Beautiful job by both of you.

Quilter 65 04-14-2013 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 5997686)
Beautiful quilt. Amish do beautiful quilting. This hand-piecing is beautiful.

Again, thanks to you for the nice comments. I want to clarify however, that it is NOT hand-pieced. I simply would have the patience or expertise for that, nor the life expectancy to finish it. But I can sew a fairly straight line at least part of the time. These are straight of the grain logs and only two sides of the diamond are on the bias. I also learned the value of freezer paper. Thanks to all who have schooled me and made me appreciate how that stuff works.

The quilt pattern is by Dunster. She provided such excellent support when I questioned myself and the process. I had read and re-read until I was nearly blind because I didn't want to muff it up. There is template in the directions and I squared it up after every log was added. I had learned from the Ozark Table Toppers that "kind of close" wasn't going to cut it with all of these parts. So if you follow the pattern and make all the parts to the size that are indicated, it should fit like a perfect puzzle. Then there are the Y seams. Didn't know about them or to avoid them. Now I do but since I survived the experience, I just hope the quilt doesn't have to be washed every week. Fray Check is good!

About the Amish lady who quilts: she has two daughters who help her and for the life of me I can't see any variation in the stitches. Usually, (it seems to me) you can see where one person starts and another stops, but it is really not readily apparent on this. Now for the most Amazing Part: it only took them a little over three weeks. This thing is huge and I am so amazed at their speed. I would encourage anyone to try this pattern. If I can do it, then you can. I really like looking at all the pictures you all post. Great inspiration.

moreland 04-14-2013 06:14 PM

WOW! That is beautiful. I made one of them--lots of work, but beautiful results. The quilting is fantastic, too.