Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Did I harm the value of quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/did-i-harm-value-quilt-t112397.html)

kapatt 03-31-2011 05:00 PM

That was a wonderful thing to do for your mother. I know that the pleasure in her eyes when she saw what you had done became valuable all by itself.

I have quilts made by my aunts, my grandmother and my mother. None of them have significant value in the eyes of the world, but they have value for me. :thumbup:

grammyto2 03-31-2011 05:00 PM

who can put a price on a precious memory!

pstoner 03-31-2011 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by grammyto2
who can put a price on a precious memory!

side note and totally off topic:

I just noticed that you are from CR, IA. I am in Solon. It's nice to see others in my area.

As far as I have been told regarding valuation of quilts:

As far as the value of the quilt: Were you ever intending that the quilt be sold? If so, then yes the value of the quilt for reasons previously stated has been reduced. But if the intent is to keep the quilt in the family and pass it down through the generations, then I would say that the value has not decreased by finishing it.

The only option to not finishing it for her to see and enjoy would have been to use it as a wall hanging in the "finished" state it was in when you received it.

leiladylei54 03-31-2011 05:20 PM

I doubt you plan to sell the quilt so therefore, how could you ever have decreased the value of it. Rather, you've increased the value with the love and care you put into saving it.

barnbum 03-31-2011 05:22 PM

You made her smile--priceless. Who really cares about the monetary value--her work was used to make a quilt--you helped--teamwork. Perfect.

Scrap Happy 03-31-2011 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I'd say no. That quilt is beautiful. No quilt police here. The greatest value of that quilt is the memories your family has. This is a wonder family heirloom:)

Ditto. To me this quilt has more value because of the story and sentiment behind it. Together you both made a BEAUTIFUL quilt and heirloom that you and your family will cherish. Do you keep a quilt journal?

BETTY62 03-31-2011 09:07 PM

What a beautiful thing you did for your Mom.

kclose 04-01-2011 03:26 AM

Thank you...I do intend forever keeping it. I also made table runners and pillows for my sisters that were from some of the same squares.

I do have a quilt in good shape from 1842 that she had.
I have no history on it though. Where can one sell quilts and get fair prices?

Rose L 04-01-2011 10:10 AM

Before you decide to sell any antique quilt you should have it professionally appraised. Call the International Quilt Study Center (Lincoln, NE) to obtain the names of well known and respected appraisers in your area. Antiques dealers are not professional quilt appraisers in most instances. Good Luck!

KimS 04-01-2011 10:16 AM

I'd say by the look on your Mother's face she loves it. You both played a part in putting this quilt together and there's nothing more special than that!! It's beautiful and you can't put a price on memories like that. :-)