Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Disappointed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/disappointed-t157455.html)

Sadiemae 10-02-2011 10:25 AM

You can take the quilting out if you are careful. I don't think I would do it with the binding on.

chairjogger 10-02-2011 10:30 AM

Your disappointment is why I did not send out my dolly ( avitar) out.. I put so much love and energy in her.. I was afraid.

The long arm quilters are a wonderful huge group of quilters. Amazing stuff comes from them..

I just wonder as your posts shares,... paraphrased .. "I would have picked a tighter quilt design" something like that.. So sorry with your disappointment. It would be a very sad day to pick up your paid and waited for loved pieced quilt.

Good luck.. maybe more talking as to your hopes on the design.

I so get this.. I chanced my own FMQ on Dolly rather than send her out..

Good luck.. Don't give up on those that work hard with their own equipment. I do hope the next time you send something to another for quilting, you will have great success !

Ell

MadQuilter 10-02-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lotsapies
I have done two quilts and she has quilted both. The first time I thought it was just me.

Why on earth would you take the second one to a person whose work didn't suit you? BTW, from what I see, it's not a bad job. It's pretty.

PaperPrincess 10-02-2011 10:45 AM

Did you specify a design? If a quilter says I'll do random stars ( or whatever) ask to take look at samples. If there are no samples available, then at least ask for a sketch. If they cannot provide a sample or sketch, look for another long arm quilter.
yes, you can take the quilting out. Remove the binding. You can either carefully clip the stitches on the back every so often, then pull the top thread off. If you work from the back and slip, it's easier to fix the backing than your beautiful top. You can also use the 'skinning' technique where you lift the backing a bit and cut the thread between the batting and backing. Just work slowly and put on your favorite movie.
If you used 100% cotton the holes left from the stitches will close if you steam them or when the quilt is laundered after it's been re-quilted.

PABerard 10-02-2011 10:50 AM

THAT is why I bought my LA. after all that time and expense it is heartbreaking to be disappointed in the quilting. So now I do my own. I am so sorry your quilt didn't come out as you were hoping. I hope there is someone else in your area. :cry:

greensleeves 10-02-2011 10:52 AM

What type of batting did you use? Some battings are flat, some are puffy after quilting.

greensleeves 10-02-2011 10:52 AM

Sorry for double post

Dena789 10-02-2011 10:55 AM

I feel your pain! I took a quilt I had made for my mother to a LA quilter. Mom picked out the pantograph pattern thinking it would kind of interlock. When we got the quilt back, instead of interlocking, the designs were stacked one on top of the other. I had planed to take the stitching all out and redo the quilting. Since then, Mom has passed and I gave the quilt to my older sister who loves it.

If you are keeping the quilt for yourself, I'd consider taking the stitching out. If you are gifting it, the person receiving it may love it just as it is.

Candace 10-02-2011 11:01 AM

It might take just as much time to pick out the quilting as it would to make a new top.

Prism99 10-02-2011 11:07 AM

From what I can see, the quilting design is not a good match for the top.

I have seen others here who have taken out all of the stitching. If you are careful and the fabrics are cotton, it should be fine. You would have to take the binding off before re-quilting it.