Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Dishwasher Wanted... Apply at Sink (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/dishwasher-wanted-apply-sink-t198030.html)

Yarn or Fabric 08-19-2012 04:09 AM

Dishwasher Wanted... Apply at Sink

2 Attachment(s)
I participated in the Bowls with Borders blog hop. The bowls were designed by Regina Grewe. I do not think it is available yet for sale yet. She is making a Piling Up series but if you like paper piecing, I enjoy her designs and she offers a block of the month. You can sign up for a newsletter to be informed of new free & for sale blocks. (not affiliated with Regina, just a fan)
The blog hop is still going on if you want to follow along with the rest of the bowl makers :)

Anyhooo... My day to post my bowls was yesterday. I'm kind of bummed that I didn't get a honorable mention but it's all good. I didn't do the blog hop to win anything. I did it to get me blogging again - which it did do but that's not the point here.. it's the wall hanging :)

The pattern gives you one bowl and 3 stacking bowls that you can repeat over and over again.. so once you have done your initial 4 bowls, you can repeat the 3 stacking ones as often as you like. It's a fun pattern.

If I did it over... I would only use 2 colors for the bowls. I used 3. I would use like an A, B, A repeat of the bowls instead of a A, B, C if that makes any sense. I think they'd look nicer with only 2 colors or at least two that are in the same family and a contrast for the band - so, blue, red, different blue.. but that's just me not liking scrappy so much but I wanted to step outside my comfort zone so I broke my non scrappy side and went for it - completely out of my scrap bin for the bowls.

I also machine embroidered the Dishwasher Wanted Apply Within phrase which has gotten some chuckles at my house. My mother even called me to tell me she liked it.... Hmmm. I think I know what she's getting... a scrappy Dishwasher Wanted Apply Within wall hanging and I'll remake one not so scrappy for me!!

I also did a tutorial on how to paper piece and not sew through the paper. When I was done sewing the pieces together, I just peeled off the paper and reused it for the next 3 bowl pieces. I used Lapel Stick to hold the pieces in place. I made up a tutorial on how to do that as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356495[/ATTACH]
I used 4 quick corners on the back side - so that I could also put a dowel (a chopstick fits perfectly!) on the top and bottom. The bottom dowel/chopstick would keep it hanging straight.
I opted to not quilt the borders because I really liked my border fabric and wanted it to pop like a picture frame. Yes, I know it would have eliminated the slight wave I have here or there but I actually did think it through and decided to go for the puffier frame and not the quilted frame. I like it.

Now back to doing other projects! I have a paper pieced dragon and a few other things on my short list!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356494[/ATTACH]

Blinkokr 08-19-2012 04:33 AM

That is just too cute, great job and thank you for sharing,
Have a Blessed day
Ellen

SheriR 08-19-2012 04:36 AM

Well this is super cute! Your whole description makes me want to go follow the blogs. And .... I think you should get honorable mention!!:D

SouthPStitches 08-19-2012 04:42 AM

I love this and you did such a wonderful job. Thanks for sharing.

joym 08-19-2012 05:06 AM

cute....very cute

Diane007 08-19-2012 05:11 AM

what a cute idea...

Julie in NM 08-19-2012 05:12 AM

That is the best ever!

Tweety2911 08-19-2012 06:02 AM

Very fun wall hanging! Great job!

kateyb 08-19-2012 06:47 AM

Way cute. Wish I had the wallhanging when my kids were still at home.

ruthrings 08-19-2012 11:20 AM

Where is the tutorial on paper piecing without sewing through the paper?