Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   DIY Ironing & Cutting Board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/diy-ironing-cutting-board-t215439.html)

QuiltnNan 03-04-2013 09:36 AM

very nicely done!!!!

crafty pat 03-04-2013 09:37 AM

That is great, wish I had enough space for one of those.

twinkie 03-04-2013 09:47 AM

That is so neat., I just love it.

Debbie B 03-04-2013 09:59 AM

It looks great! Wish I had room for one of those, because I sure would be after my DH to make one.

Grandma Peg 03-04-2013 10:03 AM

You have a great ironing station and pincushion.

Tweety2911 03-04-2013 01:00 PM

Love your iron station! Great teamwork!! Adorable pin cushion.

sewbeadit 03-04-2013 01:48 PM

Wow, this is great, you will enjoy it!

BuzzinBumble 03-04-2013 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by beauford (Post 5903604)
Love it very nice The pin cushion I need that it is cute do you have pattern?

Hi beauford! Thanks about the pincushion. I didn't have a pattern. You could do it without one.
Let me see if I could sum up what to do:
Use a 60 degree triangle to fussy cut six exactly matched triangles out of the fabric you would like for the top of the pincushion.
Sew together two pairs of the triangles and sew a third triangle onto each pair. You should have two halves of the top now, each with three 60 degree triangles.
Place the two halves, right sides together and sew down the center seam. Iron all the seams in one direction (ex: clockwise)
Now trace and cut out a matching hexagon out of a solid piece of fabric for the bottom.
Put the top and bottom right sides together and sew around the edges, leaving a gap to put in your stuffing. I stuffed it very tight with sawdust, but you could use wool or polyfill,...etc. Hand stitch your opening closed.
Hope that this helps you.

SittingPretty 03-04-2013 05:24 PM

Great work center! I have a board on top of a 4 ft. table, but I put a pillowcase-type top on it, so I can change it when it's dirty. I think I like yours better. I just may have to redo mine!

BuzzinBumble 03-04-2013 05:27 PM

Thank you everyone for the nice comments about the ironing & cutting center. :o I've been using it all day and it makes a world of difference.

Sitting Pretty I like your idea of a changeable case! I like to drape a towel (for spraying starch) or an old pillowcase over the top when I am going to be doing something messy.

Several of you have said that you wish you had one but don't have enough space. I gotta say that this takes up very little more space than a regular ironing board. Then again, you do have to leave it out all the time, which I always did with our regular ironing board anyway. So I don't mind the space being taken by this ironing center.

On the other hand, it does serve double duty with a bookshelf and baskets for storage. Cover it with a pretty cloth and you can use it as a counter height table too. A lot more versatile than a regular ironing board, eh?