Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Do I add another Blue or Stick which white (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/do-i-add-another-blue-stick-white-t24487.html)

Butterflyspain 08-22-2009 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. Mel
When I grow up, I wanna be able to do a mariner's compass.....

I think I might outline each block with a blue, but whatever you do, I think it will look extraordinary.

You will be surprised how great they go together. No classes in your area, cos thats the best way to learn PP.

Elle

janRN 08-22-2009 10:05 AM

Elle: what beautiful blocks, esp the Mariner's Compass. IMHO and believe me very humble, I would leave a white space around the MC block and put a narrow blue border around that now larger block. I would then add the other blocks all around without borders or sashing between them--a mediallion style. Does this make sense? This would emphasize the MC block and leave room for decorative quilting. What ever you choose please post a picture--I'm in love with those blocks in those colors. Thanks for sharing your WIP and good luck.

Butterflyspain 08-22-2009 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Elle: what beautiful blocks, esp the Mariner's Compass. IMHO and believe me very humble, I would leave a white space around the MC block and put a narrow blue border around that now larger block. I would then add the other blocks all around without borders or sashing between them--a mediallion style. Does this make sense? This would emphasize the MC block and leave room for decorative quilting. What ever you choose please post a picture--I'm in love with those blocks in those colors. Thanks for sharing your WIP and good luck.

JanRN, what lovely words you said. these blocks were in a swap I did with other ladies on this board, so they have to take the credit for the blocks. I did the mariners compass and one block.
I love the idea you have said about the narrow blue border around the compass, but I am going to take Melissa´s suggestion and turn it on point.
Then keep it on a white background. Then I will place all of that into a square, then the other stars will go all around it. Hope that makes sense, I knew all of you would come up trumps for me a BIG THANK YOU.

Elle

sewnsewer2 08-22-2009 11:43 AM

Beautiful! If you are going to have that much white in the middle, I think I'd do a blue frame aroung the center block. It would showcase it better.

Butterflyspain 08-22-2009 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Beautiful! If you are going to have that much white in the middle, I think I'd do a blue frame aroung the center block. It would showcase it better.

Yes, thats what i am going to do, Then put it onto a square or oblong dependant what suites best and put another blue border round that before adding all the stars.

Thanks Elle

Ninnie 08-22-2009 12:07 PM

That is so pretty!!
I would not strip with blue, but would let the white run together, and then use the blue at the end.
Just my thought! LOL

mgshaw 08-22-2009 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain

Originally Posted by mgshaw
What else are you planning on doing in the center? I used white sahing between all my outside blocks with some blue around the center blocks. Oh heck, here is the link to my quilt so you can see what I am talking about.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/18885.page

I love your Mariners Compass!! :D

Thanks for the link Melissa, yours is wonderful, you have given me an idea, just high tailing upstairs to the 3rd floor to see if I can do the Mariners compass on point.

:D You're Welcome!!! Dont you just love it when that little light bulb goes off? And even better, when the idea works!!! Cant wait to see it Elle!! :D

Jim's Gem 08-22-2009 01:30 PM

Beautiful. Love your Mariners Compass!!

Debbie1 08-25-2009 09:50 PM

Whatever you do will be goregous! I love your blocks!

tlrnhi 08-25-2009 09:54 PM

How did I miss this thread???

Elle, another beautiful job, as always!
Hurry and finish! I'm putting that on my list of "snatching" lol

Mrs Mel....the first thing I EVER PP'd alone was a mariners compass and it came out awesome! Just take your time!