Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   doll quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/doll-quilt-t2350.html)

nanabirdmo 09-18-2007 06:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
i made this little rag quilt in just about an hour. will use it for a doll quilt for my grandaughter, but actually made it to sample the fabrics. it is homespun and i needed to see how it would hold up. so far so good.
will let you know if i make the larger version.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 09-18-2007 06:59 AM

nanabirdmo,
I just love it!
I love all the rag quilts and other items.
Did you use batting or fabric or something else inside?
I started working on one for my DD to take to Kindergarten for nap time.
Then, my machine started acting up, so it's been put on hold. I wanted the quilt to be light, so I used a very small piece of thin batting in each of the squares.

Wouldn't these make cute placemats!?!

nanabirdmo 09-18-2007 07:04 AM

thank you, i love rag quilts too. they are the snuggliest. i use batting. cut it one inch smaller all around than the fabric and use 1 inch seam allowance.
i'm getting ready to make one out of denim and will probably use flannel on the back with nothing inside. denim is so heavy. the rag flannel i made with batting is pretty heavy and i figure denim would probably weigh a ton:) would love to hear from someone who has made a rag out of denim.

zyxquilts 09-18-2007 07:11 AM

What a lucky doll to have such a quilt! Good job nanabirdmo!

:D :D :D

amma 09-18-2007 09:00 AM

How cute, lucky grandaughter :D :D

ButtercreamCakeArtist 09-18-2007 12:37 PM

I have been cutting out denim squares for a rag quilt...someday...
Flying_V_Goddess made a denim quilt, but it wasn't a raggedy one.
Someone on here did, I THINK, make one...
I did a search, but I couldn't find it/them. ?

Knot Sew 09-18-2007 02:32 PM

I made a denim rag quilt it was so heavy, my wrists ached from holding it. I used walking foot for some seams and off set them so they would not be so many layers. have fun :roll: :D

live2teach 09-18-2007 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
nanabirdmo,
I just love it!
I love all the rag quilts and other items.
Did you use batting or fabric or something else inside?
I started working on one for my DD to take to Kindergarten for nap time.
Then, my machine started acting up, so it's been put on hold. I wanted the quilt to be light, so I used a very small piece of thin batting in each of the squares.

Wouldn't these make cute placemats!?!

Funny you mentioned placemats. I made Raggedy John Deere Placemats for my kitchen. I didn't get to take pictures of them, and they are already packed up so I will as soon as we get unpacked..well I jumped ahead of myself..I should say as soon as we get moved. LOL

live2teach 09-18-2007 03:15 PM

What a beautfiul doll rag quilt! Homespun fabrics always seem to rag the best. Great job!

quilterj 09-24-2007 02:29 AM

when you have made the rag quilts did you baste your batting in or just pin it? jeanette