Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Done! thanks for all the advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/done-thanks-all-advice-t124199.html)

Jammin' Jane 05-19-2011 07:12 AM

It looks great! I love your color combination!
Nice job!

Bonbonary 05-19-2011 07:30 AM

That turned out really great. The borders are a perfect addition.

Bonbonary 05-19-2011 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by chereth
I am teaching myself to quilt (with your help). I have learned something (at least one thing) new with each quilt. My lesson learned on this one was "square ALL your blocks" even the tiny 3 1/2 " ones. I didn't square them, so when I got the the 9 1/2" blocks I had to trim them to 9 1/4 to make them work, then my points didn't line up well. *sigh*

I know what you mean, Chereth. When I started quilting, I thought once you made a square, that was it. That was what you had to work with, good or bad. Now I'm working on a quilt with dozens of 2-1/2" HST's (half square triangles). I couldn't believe I had to square up each one, but what a difference it makes!

QuiltE 05-19-2011 07:40 AM

I am teaching myself to quilt (with your help). I have learned something (at least one thing) new with each quilt. My lesson learned on this one was "square ALL your blocks" even the tiny 3 1/2 " ones. I didn't square them, so when I got the the 9 1/2" blocks I had to trim them to 9 1/4 to make them work, then my points didn't line up well. *sigh*

Yeaaa! a convert to squaring everything as you go! It gets easier and like second nature. And you'll soon see how your joined blocks will come in almost bang on the expected sizes. And oh, how the points line up just right!

You've done a really great job ... love your very thin light first border. And is that a piping insert with the binding? Could you please show me a close up at a corner, perhaps? I'm thinking of using it in my OBW and would appreciate a look-see! Thanks!!

QuiltE 05-19-2011 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bonbonary

I know what you mean, Chereth. When I started quilting, I thought once you made a square, that was it. That was what you had to work with, good or bad. Now I'm working on a quilt with dozens of 2-1/2" HST's (half square triangles). I couldn't believe I had to square up each one, but what a difference it makes!

:thumbup:
I make them a little larger and then trim. It's much easier to trim a 3" HST nice and square than a 2-1/2" wonky HST ... almost impossible!
:thumbup:

Maia B 05-19-2011 07:48 AM

Excellent quilt! Serene colors! LOVE grey and blue (or anything)! Narrow borders are perfect. Don't judge yourself so harshly. I'd love it.

littlehud 05-19-2011 07:54 AM

That is so pretty. You did a great job on all those triangles. I love the colors. That border fabric is beautiful. Great job and thanks for sharing.

GreatStarter 05-19-2011 07:55 AM

Love it!

Kat

GreatStarter 05-19-2011 07:56 AM

sorry for second post-accident
Kat

Nanny J 05-19-2011 08:41 AM

Beautiful!!!