Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Don't shoot me! I got ANOTHER machine today- maybe someone can help identify it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/dont-shoot-me-i-got-another-machine-today-maybe-someone-can-help-identify-t23373.html)

Lisa T 07-28-2009 09:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So I got a new Bernina 430 on Sunday, and now today the neighbor guy brought me over another sewing machine! It's even older than my Brother! It's a Singer, and I think it might be one of those featherweights that everyone loves so much.

It is in kinda rough shape- needs a new cord or at least for this cord to be put back where it goes, and it REALLY needs a good cleaning, but the previous owner said it worked when she put it in her basement. It was her husband's grandmother's machine, I believe. I am so excited! And she GAVE it to me because she wanted it to go to a good home. The neighbor guy, who is retired and helps this elderly woman out a lot, thought of me!

This cord needs to be put back in... somewhere.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41695[/ATTACH]

The writing on here says "AE677504".
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41696[/ATTACH]

It's a bit rough, but I think only needs a little TLC to work again.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41697[/ATTACH]

RedGarnet222 07-28-2009 09:36 AM

Lisa,
There is a singer site on line that you put in the serial number and it tells you the day your machine was made and where. I think it is just singer.com.
Edited to say here is the link to the site ....
http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html

amma 07-28-2009 09:40 AM

Awwww how sweet that they thought of you!!!! A real treasure :D :D :D

AtHomeSewing 07-28-2009 09:44 AM

Beautiful vintage Singer machine BUT...I am wondering how much you are enjoying your new Bernina?! :)

Never mind...apparently I didn't read down the list far enough! :oops:

Lisa T 07-28-2009 09:47 AM

AE- 663491 673490 99 10000 September 1 1937

Cool! This is my machine's birthday! And it was made in Elizabeth New Jersey.

Thank you so much RG!!

And I still love the Bernina best... I guess I'm a modern gal at heart! LOL! I am just flying over here I am so excited. What a great week!

mytwopals 07-28-2009 09:59 AM

According to the Singer site, your serial number matches a model 99, built in 1936. Model 221 is the featherweight. So yours is not one of the featherweights. Sorry about that. But for $15, you can purchase a copy of the owner manual on the site.

Lisa T 07-28-2009 10:14 AM

My2Pals- SWEET! Can you link me to the page where it says what model this is? I didn't see that page. I would love to get the manual. I intend to fix this and use it! And I totally don't care how valuable it is as far as a Model 99 vs. Featherweight. Featherweights were the only ones I was familiar with. Actually, if it was valuable, I would feel bad taking it for free so if it's less valuable then I will be relieved.

Maybe someday my niece will want to sew on it. (She is 6 now, but is already a quilter in her soul- when watching the fireworks this 4th of July she sighed, "I wish I could make those on a quilt." Made her auntie so proud!)

katier825 07-28-2009 10:30 AM

Awesome! You should have it serviced and have them replace the electrical wiring. It's a common thing with that machine. My service guy loves working on these! Check online for a manual (Google). I found one for free. If it's the same model, I can email you a copy. I'll have to check my pc at home for the file.

Mine is from 1939 I think. Very similar. I spent about $100 for tune-up and new wiring. It runs beautifully! The only reason I don't use it all the time is I don't have anywhere to keep it set up all the time and it's too heavy for me to move around much (my dining rm is my sewing room). Someday I hope to have a permanent home for it!

quiltingbee12 07-28-2009 10:35 AM

Singer 99s are not worth that much, because of how many were made. They are however wonderful machines, and the table its in, is worth more then the machine, the tables are fairly uncommon. I have a 99 in a case, and I love it! Yours has the filigree decals, where mine is a wrinkle finish.

mytwopals 07-28-2009 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa T
My2Pals- SWEET! Can you link me to the page where it says what model this is? I didn't see that page. I would love to get the manual. I intend to fix this and use it! And I totally don't care how valuable it is as far as a Model 99 vs. Featherweight. Featherweights were the only ones I was familiar with. Actually, if it was valuable, I would feel bad taking it for free so if it's less valuable then I will be relieved.

Maybe someday my niece will want to sew on it. (She is 6 now, but is already a quilter in her soul- when watching the fireworks this 4th of July she sighed, "I wish I could make those on a quilt." Made her auntie so proud!)

Here's the link: http://www.singerco.com/pdf/SINGER_AE_nos.pdf

You need to scan down the page to where your serial number group is located.