Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Double Delight Quiltville Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/double-delight-quiltville-mystery-t16737.html)

rismstress 02-20-2009 02:39 PM

I love this qyilt. The colors are great and the layout of the pattern is wonderful. Your piecing is perfect!! Good job. I just love seeing everyone's work.
Cheryl

barnbum 02-20-2009 02:54 PM

That is AMAZING!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I just want to keep looking at it--I think it's hypnotizing. :D

littlehud 02-20-2009 07:06 PM

Love the quilt and the colors. Someday maybe I'll try a mystery quilt. They sound like fun.

Blue Bell 02-20-2009 07:07 PM

Your quilt is beautiful. Another one for my to do list!

VickiM 02-20-2009 07:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's mine, if I can figure out how to attach the pictures. I had no problem figuring out her instructions...she's so precise in her explanations that it makes it very easy to follow...lots of little pieces, but worth it. I spent 3 full weeks making it and it's all scraps except for the white on cream for the background, and the burgundy and navy blenders...the rest of it are paisley prints in the navy and burgundy families. It's so scrappy that I had to randomly piece more paisleys for the borders. I'm going to give it to my grandson when he graduates in 4 years! YEA! I'm ahead of the game for once!!!

Shemjo 02-20-2009 08:03 PM

Oh, Vicki, I like yours too! Either one is welcome at MY house! I, too, printed out the instructions and have it in the TO DO file! :lol:

Harmony 02-20-2009 08:42 PM

Vicki, I love yours too! Let's face it, this is just a cool pattern! Lots of work, but worth it!

butterflywing 02-20-2009 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chele

Originally Posted by butterflywing
chele, i love your colors. they really pop! did you really do it one step at a time or did you cheat and do the whole thing at the end? i never had the patience to wait until the end of one. :oops:

what size did yours finish at? and can you add more blocks to enlarge it? i looked for a finished block size but didn't see that info. what is yours?

would you call it intermediate or advanced? i know you're advanced but i'm not, so i'm thinking this may be too difficult for me without ripping my life away.

last question (i'm really picking your brain today): she talks about shirting on this one and other ones in the past. does she really mean men's shirts, which are tightly woven, or women's shirtings which are really like other cotton fabrics, only striped? i find men's shirtings to be almost like sheets.

butterflywing: I did mostly do the steps in order and started a few days before the New Year.

Mine finished at 74" x 87" once I added 5" borders. You could certainly make more blocks if you wanted the quilt bigger. And/or add more or larger borders. The finished blocks are 9".

I'm only a beginner, but I didn't find the pattern very hard. Challenging for a beginner, but Bonnie's instructions are very helpful.

I believe the shirtings she is referring to are reproduction of men's shirts from the Civil War era. Someone else on the board may have a clearer description.

On a side note, Bonnie does have a great book that explains how she repurposes old cotton shirts, etc. to make her quilts. http://quiltville.com/scrapsandshirttailspreview.shtml

Thanks for all the comments quilters, you make me :oops: !

thank you for the answers. i every time i se a great quilt i want to do it. of course, no one has the time to do them all, but i would love to do this one. you've done a really terrific job.

Chele 02-21-2009 04:35 AM

VickiM, your Double Delight is gorgeous! Great colors. Your grandson is going to flip!

butterflywing 02-21-2009 06:29 AM

vicki, i'm sorry i forgot to say that i love yours, too. the colors are so much for a guy, i'm sure he'll lvoe it. otherwise, there's a guy here who will. pm me for the address. i'll pay shipping. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: