Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Downy quilt top done (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/downy-quilt-top-done-t39892.html)

Katia 03-18-2010 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it turned out pretty good for a beginner. I have never actually pieced a quilt before except some little ones over 20 years ago. I have made baby quilts from patterns like McCalls, but those were different. I had to rip out a few corners to get them to connect correctly, but I am learning. Now I just have to do the hard part. I need suggestions on how to quilt it. The instructions say to quilt it heavily. I am thinking of binding it with red, but would black look better?

Dalmation Downey quilt top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15385[/ATTACH]

LoisN 03-18-2010 06:59 AM

Your quilt is SOOOO cute. I need to do a little more quilting on mine tonight and it should be ready to send back. Meandering is great. I also did a wavy grid in some of the blocks. An "X" in the 4-patch didn't seem to be enough quilting on mine, so I'm doing an "X" in each section of the 4-patch.

missbehavin 03-18-2010 07:38 AM

Your quilt is sooo cute... you did a great job.. I would use red to do the binding, I think it would help the fire hydrants pop in your boarder.. If the meandering is a little difficult, (I know on my first one I would have never attempted that cause I was a chicken) I was advised to do the stitch in the ditch and then criss cross the blocks.. But whatever you choose I am sure it will just be wonderful..

cminor 03-18-2010 07:47 AM

Very cute. I vote red also :)

RedGarnet222 03-18-2010 08:13 AM

Great job! Give yourself some nice kudos for fixing the problem areas. Many new quilter's don't do that.

Jim's Gem 03-18-2010 08:17 AM

Looks great. I did a large meander all over the quilt. I still have to bind mine though.

Katia 03-18-2010 08:37 AM

Thanks for the compliments and the advice. I was leaning towards red as well for the binding. But I tend to second guess myself.

How could I not fix the booboo's? I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to sewing and things like not matching corners or whatever drive me crazy.

I am enjoying doing this project and the fact that it goes to a sick child makes it worthwhile. I can't wait to get it finished and sent off. However the quilt show in Vegas starts tomorrow, so I may HAVE to go to that. I am trying to talk myself out of it, but not having much success.

Marjpf 03-18-2010 09:04 AM

Great job - I would also bind with red. What are you going to name it?

Gramof6 03-18-2010 09:27 AM

Love it! It will sure make some little child happy. Thanks for doing this.

theresse 03-18-2010 10:03 AM

You did really good, I love it . Try to keep a journal of Qt you do, wish I had kept one on all that I have done. My J has a four year gap in it. I have reopened it to start again. Remember you have worked so hard on it, Show your pride and Lable It. Theresse