Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Dresden Kaleidscope Hotpads by Rhonda (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/dresden-kaleidscope-hotpads-rhonda-t187238.html)

oma66 04-27-2012 07:14 AM

Hummmm...hot pads?! Nope...not at my house...they are art for my wall. Awesome work.

fivepaws 04-27-2012 07:28 AM

Too pretty to use. Great job.

Sandee 04-27-2012 10:57 AM

Rhonda, Those are your most beautiful yet!!!! I simply LOVE them!!!!!!!! You are so good at what you do!

Rhonda 04-27-2012 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ruthrings (Post 5173819)
I adore these, but I have a question. I know when I did a kaleidoscope quilt, it took a lot of fabric to find six repetitions of the pattern. So these have TEN repetitions of the fabric. Are they scraps from a really big quilt that you did? Also what do you use for batting that is safe for potholders?

Well the secret to not wasting the fabric is to do as many DKs as you can find room for on the fabric. When I get done using a yard of fabric yes you will have some waste. It is a fussy cut after all. But at the end I have very little left over if I use all the space I can fit a template on. I also use a small template and make a 4" size and that will use up all the little spots that are left.

You can also use any leftovers in a crazy quilt. If you are willing to think outside the box you can use almost every bit of that yard of fabric.

I mostly use what I want to use and then set the leftover fabric back on my shelf until the next time I am in the mood to work on these. I see it as resource that I can draw on if I want to use it for something.

Rhonda 04-27-2012 11:14 AM

I can't go into too much detail because I do have an ebook out on this and will get in trouble if I use anything out of it here. But I can say for the repeats you can usually find 3 to 6 repeats in a quarter yard. So if you buy a yard of fabric you should be able to get 10 repeats easily. Out of that yard you probably will be able to get 6 or so full size dresden kaleidsocopes and several smaller ones if you like. So even tho it sounds like you are wasting you really aren't. It will all go to good use.

I guess look at it this way. If you saw 6 or 8 Dresden Kaleidoscopes for sale already made would you be willing to pay an average of $10 to $12 for them? If you have put that much into your yard of fabric then the 6 or so DKs are worth the price you paid. Even if you do have some waste. I usually get my fabric for around $7 to $9 per yard so the cost is not an issue for me. If I have leftovers I just use them later or put them in a crazy quilt project.

I know most of you are concerned with not having any waste leftover. I don't consider leftovers a waste just an opportunity to have resource for another project

Rhonda 04-27-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sandee (Post 5174638)
Rhonda, Those are your most beautiful yet!!!! I simply LOVE them!!!!!!!! You are so good at what you do!

Thanks Sandee so much and thanks to everyone who has commented. I am glad you enjoy looking at them. I think they turned out pretty good. But some of them are less than symmetrical. They should be in a better circle and some of them are turning to one side or the other and oval not round. That is the wonky I spoke of.

I also wondered if the black and red was too dark for a kitchen. But it is chilis and tomatoes and potatoes so you would think it would be good for that

javin22 04-27-2012 11:32 AM

How cleaver! those are very beautiful!

BizzieLizzie 04-27-2012 11:37 AM

Oh WOW! THey are just gorgeous! Love them!!

kuntryquilter 04-28-2012 03:33 AM

I like them, may even try one. Were they hard to bind?

patsynel 04-28-2012 03:47 AM

These look impressive and they are certainly too pretty to use.