Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Endless Chain Quilt Finished and Gifted! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/endless-chain-quilt-finished-gifted-t315013.html)

Sephie 04-07-2021 05:08 AM

Endless Chain Quilt Finished and Gifted!

4 Attachment(s)
I learned last year while finding myself homeschooling our then 3 and 5 year olds that while I normally love to read, it was too difficult for me to do that while helping them with schoolwork. I needed something that I could easily start and stop and didn't require a whole lot of thinking from me. Luckily, when my husband had some vacation in December, we set up a little sewing station for me in the space where we do "school" and when we came back from Winter Break, away I went!

I pulled out a project I had already printed, cut, and sewn a couple blocks and then put away. Endless Chain by Marcia Hohn (QuiltersCache) is easy peasy straight line paper pieced sewing. Super easy to sew - literally straight lines, and quite fuss-free to put together. I think auditioning borders was the hardest part!

It was going to a friend/coworker who had just gotten surprise married. Friend and I play professionally together in an orchestra so I added some clefs in the vertical diamonds and some words in the horizontal diamonds. I've been an avid fan of Angela Walters' videos (Midnight Quilter and MQS, anyone?) so her dot to dot technique was absolutely perfect in this quilt. She also did a Dot to Dot FMQ challenge series on YouTube a couple years ago which was where I got the idea for the border and I love it because it perfectly mimics the design from inside the stars. All I had to do was draw a few reference dots for myself since I quickly found that I was really bad at lining up the center point of the angle. I do my quilting now on a 7700 so I think it's a little harder to see those things vs working on a longarm.

Friend and his new wife have decided to hang it on a wall! Funny - my brother does that too with his wedding quilt. It's not up to me what they do with it but as long as they're happy, I'm happy :)

Thanks for looking!

Jingle 04-07-2021 05:13 AM

WOW, that is a beautiful quilt.

Homespun 04-07-2021 05:23 AM

That is so pretty. I would love to look at it on my wall.

Quiltwoman44 04-07-2021 05:31 AM

Well, it is a piece of art! Wall art for awhile. Lovely quilt!

SallyS 04-07-2021 07:05 AM

It's a beautiful quilt and a lovely idea.

toogie 04-07-2021 07:12 AM

I love this look with all the shadings of color! Is the background gray? You know how colors look different on pc or phones. I think your quilting is art worthy. I also notice the music notes even before I read your post. What instrument do you play?

thepolyparrot 04-07-2021 07:26 AM

What a beautiful gift, and what a compliment that they have hung it on their wall! :) Very pretty quilt and I love the quilting, too. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Sephie 04-07-2021 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by toogie (Post 8474015)
I love this look with all the shadings of color! Is the background gray? You know how colors look different on pc or phones. I think your quilting is art worthy. I also notice the music notes even before I read your post. What instrument do you play?

Yes, the background is gray. It's Bella solid in Silver. I really love how some of the blues just pop against the gray. When I first cut this quilt out a few years ago, I honestly thought this was going to be a meh practice quilt where I learned how to paper piece and as I got closer to finishing it, I started to love it so much I had some heart hurt about giving it away!

Thank you all for your kind words :)

I play flute and piccolo professionally and my friend is the tuba player in one of the orchestras I play in.

Rebaquilts 04-07-2021 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sephie (Post 8473986)
I pulled out a project I had already printed, cut, and sewn a couple blocks and then put away. Endless Chain by Marcia Hohn (QuiltersCache) is easy peasy straight line paper pieced sewing. Friend and his new wife have decided to hang it on a wall! Funny - my brother does that too with his wedding quilt. It's not up to me what they do with it but as long as they're happy, I'm happy :) Thanks for looking!

What a pretty quilt, the color choices are wonderful. Good job on finishing a UFO!

rryder 04-07-2021 10:09 AM

Wow- it’s gorgeous. Fabulous design and quilting,

Rob