Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Enlarging a finished, washed and shrunk OBW quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/enlarging-finished-washed-shrunk-obw-quilt-t224331.html)

MaryKatherine 06-23-2013 09:25 AM

Enlarging a finished, washed and shrunk OBW quilt.

2 Attachment(s)
I posted this OBW almost two years ago, and after using for a season my husband and I agreed it was a tad too small.
I was appalled at the full price of the fabric so it went on my to-do list for sometime when I could afford $18 a yard fabric. As luck would have it, a member of this board spotted it on sale for around $8. So I pounced and bought 4 more yards. That was March or so. I just couldn't get interested enough because I knew what a Pandora's box this would be.
First, I had used wool batting and had no more. But I did have the backing plus lots of cotton blend batting.
Second it had been washed and did shrink enough to tighten up the quilting. Where to start.
I removed the binding and found there was quite a bit of give and stretch in the edging material. The backing was easy to enlarge. It hadn't shrunk as much as the front and it wasn't mitered. The front strips were added and the corners mitered as before. I stretched the original material as I sewed the new pieces. The batting joint, fell between the new seams of the front and the backing, so I fused it, thinking the extra would lie in the coloured bands which were only stitched in the ditch. A little extra there would do no harm.
As for quilting it. I left it loose, almost to the max allowed. My INTENTIONS are to presoak the new edges in hot water the first time it needs washing and then wash the whole in cold water. As you can see in the picture, there is only a little bit of wobble in the new edges. I added ten inches all around. Would I do it again? I doubt it. It was not the easiest repair job I've done and if someone asked me to do it for them, I'd ask big bucks.
Pictures are the before and after.
MaryKatherine

karenpatrick 06-23-2013 09:26 AM

Great idea. Great results.

Pollytink 06-23-2013 09:32 AM

WOW! I'm a novice quilter but it sure looks to me like you did a magnificent job! I love the colors and the fabric you used and the OBW is gorgeous. And the original fabric is so beautiful and the new border looks great!!! What is the original fabric? I'd love to do/have an OBW quilt and this one is just the fabric and colors I'd choose. Congratulations!

MaryKatherine 06-23-2013 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pollytink (Post 6138889)
WOW! I'm a novice quilter but it sure looks to me like you did a magnificent job! I love the colors and the fabric you used and the OBW is gorgeous. And the original fabric is so beautiful and the new border looks great!!! What is the original fabric? I'd love to do/have an OBW quilt and this one is just the fabric and colors I'd choose. Congratulations!

I couldn't tell you the original fabric as I had nothing left, but it was a brand name.
Thanks
MK

Jan in VA 06-23-2013 10:06 AM

Great job, great save! I've done this, too, and found it wasn't quite the big deal I had worried over. I appreciate your explanation for everybody.:)

Jan in VA

MartiMorga 06-23-2013 10:10 AM

I like it and think your "repair" is perfect.

Crqltr 06-23-2013 10:13 AM

I really like it with the border! Great job, I know I would have just packed it up the way it was!! I hate undoing what I call done! I like it when a border of the original obw fabric is used, so many different designs from that one fabric!

QuiltE 06-23-2013 10:22 AM

Great Reno Job, MaryK!!!!! ... the print border is a great way to show the virgin fabric for the OBWs!

So glad that someone spotted that fabric for you, so you could make it a more desirable size for you and your husband. What size is it now? It's such a happy quilt ... one can't help but wake up in a good mood with it! :D

MaryKatherine 06-23-2013 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6138971)
Great Reno Job, MaryK!!!!! ... the print border is a great way to show the virgin fabric for the OBWs!

So glad that someone spotted that fabric for you, so you could make it a more desirable size for you and your husband. What size is it now? It's such a happy quilt ... one can't help but wake up in a good mood with it! :D

It's 98 inches square, perfect for our queen.
Thanks
MK

nativetexan 06-23-2013 11:31 AM

OH love the border added. it's a lovely quilt either way. good work!!