Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   EQ design - comments please... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/eq-design-comments-please-t105642.html)

Kutnso 03-08-2011 05:51 AM

A truly gorgeous design.
Good luck, Kutnso

k3n 03-08-2011 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
KAnyway, your design is beautiful. When are you going to start working on it???

Thank you! I'll start one I a) get the centre worked out because it's REALLY bugging me now :mrgreen: and b) once I can get to a shop with lots of batiks to get the fabric for it - there's one an hour or so drive from me (near Bath) that may be a good bet, or my more local lady - half an hour away, might try her first as she does 'stash packs' of batiks and this is mostly FQs and 1/8th yard pieces according to the EQ yardage - which generally errs on the side of generous in my experience. :-D Plus I have a commitment to make a wall hanging for a friend that I want to do first. So that was the looooong answer! :mrgreen: The short answer is 'soon'! :lol: :lol: :lol:

k3n 03-08-2011 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by quiltilicious
Very nice design work! If you need this done by august of this year, you'd better get started SOON! There are a LOT of pieces in that quilt! :lol:

Oh don't! Am I over ambitious do you think? :shock: :lol:

k3n 03-08-2011 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
K, how about taking the corner blocks and putting them back to back somehow. I can see how they would look like lips if they were turned one way, but the other way, with the center small square? Oh heck, I'm not the creative one, you are. :roll: :wink:

1. you are SO creative so shu'up! :mrgreen:
2. Leave the corners be! I like them! I know that plain pat thinks they look like jaws but I thought more soaring eagles. :lol: And yes Pat, I DID ask! :mrgreen: :lol:

k3n 03-08-2011 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I think I like the last posted center best... but NOT that anyone would notice a problem with any of them!! ;)

Thanks K! And sewcrafty because predictable or no, you did get me working on that centre which is NOT right! :lol:

I am going to work on it some more and take out the lighter pinks and keep it dark, moody purples behind the grey. But I am liking the general effect this gives of blending the blocks in to the surrounding LCs. PLus, bear in mind that those grey areas will be FMQd and possibly even get some beadwork on them as well - this is only the 'background'. :-D

k3n 03-08-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
I can't stop looking at this; it is beautiful. How, how, how did you do this???????? This one will not leave my wishful longing.

This is two blocks from the EQ6 library (I have that version NOT 7), a twisted log cabin then an offcentre log cabin. I messed about with the placement of these blocks until I got to this then started adding colours. The applique is just to give an impression and is another design from EQ's library - when I come to make it I will draw my own applique pattern which will be probably slightly more graphic and less 'bitty' than this but this was the closest I could find in the library. I prefer to draw my applique designs on paper with pencil although it's perfectly possible to do that in EQ as well. :-D If you don't have EQ, you can find free twisted log cabin foundation patterns online and regular log cabins as well. There's no reason why you couldn't draft something like this with pencil and paper. :D

k3n 03-08-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I really love it but like a few other posters, the center just doesn't seem to flow to me. It seems to compete with the design around it. Maybe some floral applique that encorporates the applique used on the four corners of the center?

I'm sure whatever you decide though it will be lovely. Your quilts always are!

As a side note, I am learning to love my EQ7. I didn't like it at first, but now that I learned how to create my own blocks, I like it a lot more. You've inspired me to cruise through the library a little more though! :)

Thanks Rachel - I HAD thought about applique in the centre as well but didn't really want it to look like a medallion quilt with borders but rather an overall design. I think a central applique would have that effect. If I can't work out the central part so it DOES flow better, I may come back to that idea though! :-D
Thanks so much everyone for your comments so far - it is really helpful because I've stared at it so long I can't even 'see' it anymore and you all have given me a fresh perspective.

Those asking for the pattern, I might come up with something after I've made it myself, we'll see. I was unaware it would create so much interest. :D

k3n 03-08-2011 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by CayinSC
If you would teach that it would be well worth the ticket to England! I am awestruck!

If you can get here, I can teach you! :D

Lori S 03-08-2011 06:32 AM

Its spectacular!!! I LOVE IT!

NUTMEG10 03-08-2011 06:38 AM

Oh this is beyound words. Breath taking. Looks very difficult. How do you come up with such great designs?