Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Even this quilter of 30 years makes mistakes! Imagine that! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/even-quilter-30-years-makes-mistakes-imagine-t23179.html)

Rhonda 07-26-2009 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I need one of those smilie things that clap, Well said Rhonda, Bravo!

Thanks Cute I just thought from what i was reading that maybe people would benefit from this lecture that I gave Dorothy! She feels stupid when things don't go right and it is pointless to place blame.

hulahoop1 07-26-2009 01:13 PM

My first quilting project was a tablerunner of pinwheels. I got it all put together and quilted. I was so proud of it until, like you, I noticed one triangle going the wrong direction. That little flub-up is now safely covered up by strategically placed knick-knacks on my dresser!

Rhonda 07-26-2009 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by hulahoop1
My first quilting project was a tablerunner of pinwheels. I got it all put together and quilted. I was so proud of it until, like you, I noticed one triangle going the wrong direction. That little flub-up is now safely covered up by strategically placed knick-knacks on my dresser!

Great idea! I have a stain on my oak table and I do the same thing. I just set something there and then you can't see it! What ever works right?

littlehud 07-27-2009 07:12 PM

I love the pink one. Mistake or not it is beautiful.

Iluv2quilt 07-28-2009 05:19 AM

I also make mistakes, go figure. It really helps to know that others do as well. Being a perfectionist and making mistakes don't go well together. I recently had a large quilt quilted, it was an intricate design. After she quilted it and I got it home, I noticed a HST turned around. I was upset with myself and a little embarrassed, but was able to quilt another on top of it going the right direction and now I can't find the mistake. But I learned that I need to pay more attention to the finished project, maybe put it away for a day and relook at it in a fresh way. Also, I learned to repair a quilt after it is completed.

The lady who got her feelings hurt just lost the opportunity to learn a valuable lesson in fixing her mistake, how sad. Hopefully she thought about it afterward and learned something.

Thanks for the topic! :D :D

Rhonda 07-28-2009 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Rhonda, Here is a link about the I-80 rest stop. I hope to go there this fall when I go to the Des Moines show. Do you have the dates for that show? http://tabblo.com/studio/stories/vie...tag&tag=county

That is so cool! It is only 30 miles from Iowa City on I-80. We go to Iowa City and go west to Des Moines on I-80 but I have never gone east on it to Davenport. We go the local roads to Davenport as we are southwest of there.
I am going to have to make a trip up there and go on I-80 and go take pictures!! We are in Iowa City at least once a month most months as we go up to the VA for my DH for medical. It would just be a 20 min drive to go see it!

Thanks so much for this info! I will be going when I get the chance.

MNQuilter 07-28-2009 01:12 PM

Everyone else sharing makes me feel so much better. I had put aside my quilting over the winter becasue I was so stressed by everything and have recently picked it back up. I was chain piecing for a quilt for my son last week and realized I had sewn the wrong sides of the fabric for all 48 blocks! My seams were all on the front of the blocks! :oops: Luckily it was only a 3 inch seam so I got them all torn out in one night, but still!

Rhonda 07-28-2009 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
Everyone else sharing makes me feel so much better. I had put aside my quilting over the winter becasue I was so stressed by everything and have recently picked it back up. I was chain piecing for a quilt for my son last week and realized I had sewn the wrong sides of the fabric for all 48 blocks! My seams were all on the front of the blocks! :oops: Luckily it was only a 3 inch seam so I got them all torn out in one night, but still!

Happens to me all the time!! I was sewing swatches together 2 days ago and they were supposed to be right sides together--when I went to cut them apart I realized I had sewn about 10 of them face side out! I HATE to rip seams!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Oh well I ripped them out and started over! I have been doing this how long????(maybe the next 30 years will be better!!) And teaching it for pete's sake and I still flub up the same ways over and over! You'd think I'd learn!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rhonda 07-28-2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by suzic46
I also make mistakes, go figure. It really helps to know that others do as well. Being a perfectionist and making mistakes don't go well together. I recently had a large quilt quilted, it was an intricate design. After she quilted it and I got it home, I noticed a HST turned around. I was upset with myself and a little embarrassed, but was able to quilt another on top of it going the right direction and now I can't find the mistake. But I learned that I need to pay more attention to the finished project, maybe put it away for a day and relook at it in a fresh way. Also, I learned to repair a quilt after it is completed.

The lady who got her feelings hurt just lost the opportunity to learn a valuable lesson in fixing her mistake, how sad. Hopefully she thought about it afterward and learned something.

Thanks for the topic! :D :D

I doubt she learned anything from it. She is the sort of person who has to be in charge and when she isn't she gets defensive. I know where she was coming from and went out of my way to make sure she felt better about everything. We live in too small a town to have people mad at you.
In Salem everyone knows what you are thinking before you think it.
That's small town life in the midwest!