Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Evil Bunny Baby Quilt...WIP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/evil-bunny-baby-quilt-wip-t196851.html)

sew_Tracy 08-06-2012 07:05 AM

Evil Bunny Baby Quilt...WIP

3 Attachment(s)
I know that sounds mean, but this quilt has been giving me problems all the way down the line. Starting with the bunny applique. I had so much trouble mirroring these guys. I would check, double check, and triple check and still wind up with Mr. Bunny going the wrong way! Next the issue of on point and bias waviness. Then, I practiced and practiced on muslin sammies with the feathers that I am new to...well basically new to FMQ with any actual design. GF suggested I use basting spray to secure my quilt sammy. Great Idea! Ya, well when I went to actually quilt on the quilt the stitches were super tight and knotting. Took me about 4 hours to remove one section! My hands are still sore today from that, but my mind is better today :D I blamed the glue. How could it possibly be the operator??? Think again. I could not find my gloves so I had a bad grip on the fabric. This morning I found a pair of my cotton grippy gardening gloves and washed them extensively. I changed from quilting thread to regular thread and changed to a machine quilting needle. I took a deep breath and relaxed and went ahead and took the time to draw the feathers on paper....a lot! This way I had sort of memorized what to do and where to go.

I loaded those evil bunnies into my Singer, drew up the bobbin thread and actually took the extra 90 seconds to go ahead and bury the tails...now your thinking! The quilting could be a LOT better, but I am pleased with it being a newb and all.

I must say, the camera does not do the colors much justice. The yellow is actually lighter (almost gold) and the purple more vivid.

burchquilts 08-06-2012 07:08 AM

Who knew "evil" could be so beautiful?!? LOL! I love, love, love your bunnies & personally think you should keep the name of this quilt! Your quilting is fabulous (the feathers especially)! This is a keeper!!!

sue1964 08-06-2012 07:26 AM

Your feathers are coming along nice, I tryed them myself and I can't even draw them on paper. Keep up the good work

nena 08-06-2012 07:36 AM

I love this quilt. The bunnies are beautiful. Nice bunnies, nice bunnies.

dcquilter 08-06-2012 07:42 AM

It's very cute! I love the colors! I think you did a great job, and good work hanging in there and finishing, instead of tossing it in a box to become a UFO.

crafty pat 08-06-2012 08:03 AM

I love it, it is so beautiful. Wonderful work.

Tartan 08-06-2012 08:10 AM

It is looking good! I've had a few evil sewing projects in my day as well. Once you get it finished and it looks awesome, it will be sweet little bunny quilt again.

Helen S 08-06-2012 08:16 AM

LOVE your "evil bunnies" comment! lol I think you did a great job with the feathers for the first time on a real quilt. I was playing with this same thing yesterday but haven't gotten this good, and wouldn't dream of testing it on the real thing just yet. lol

Diane007 08-06-2012 08:35 AM

Nice bunnies....

Tweety2911 08-06-2012 08:43 AM

It paid off to stick to it!! Beautiful bunny quilt and quilting.