Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Fabric choice help, please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fabric-choice-help-please-t21106.html)

ai731 06-09-2009 04:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Help!

I want to make a lap quilt for my husband's grandmother. His family is Ukranian, so I had the idea of using a pattern that is in keeping with the traditional designs on pysanky (Ukrainian painted Easter eggs) - see first picture.

I decided on the "All Hallows" block variation from The Quilter's Cache - if you look at page 3 of the pattern, there is a mock up of what the quilt would look like.

These are the two fabrics I have so far - see second picture - the burgundy print would be one of the two fabrics for the central star & border, and the yellow print would be the larger, lighter coloured areas.

I need a second fabric for the central star & border. Since the two fabrics I have so far are both quite 'busy,' I'm thinking I need a subtle tone-on-tone blender - but what colour?

Burgundy? A dark chocolate brown? The pysanky traditionally use black, but I don't want to use black for the lap quilt. Would red be too bright? Should I go with a solid rather than a tone-on-tone?

Thanks very much for your input!
Jan

Ukrainian painted Easter eggs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24085[/ATTACH]

The two fabrics I have so far
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27537[/ATTACH]

tlrnhi 06-09-2009 04:39 AM

I think any color that would compliment what you already have would work, but I, myself, wouldn't go with black. Maybe take your picture and your fabric to the fabric store and shop around. With the fabric WITH you, you can judge what color would look good. Also, if you are going to your LQS, I'm sure someone there would help you decide.

Kj05 06-09-2009 05:11 AM

A dark chocolatey brown might work, but I agree, black probably wouldn't be so good. I really like the burgandy fabric!

k3n 06-09-2009 05:14 AM

Those eggs are beautiful! What a great idea to use them as inspiration for a quilt. I agree with black but I think maybe a solid, really dark burgundy. Let us see what you make PLEASE!!!

k3n 06-09-2009 05:16 AM

PS just been for a look at the pattern - it's perfect! It'll really have the feel of those eggs!

KGoodhand 06-09-2009 05:22 AM

Just to let you know, I agree black might be too much but I was in a quilting class at my LQS and she has a material called, I think, blackest brown. It is brown but it is really fairly dark. That might be one way to go maybe just for accents.
Kendra

bearisgray 06-09-2009 05:36 AM

How about a green?.

Bevanger 06-09-2009 05:38 AM

ooooooooooooo boy. tough one. i like the idea of the burgandy , and i like the ch. brown. ok not much help here. i'm sorry. but the fabs you got are fantastic

LoriJ 06-09-2009 05:40 AM

What about a green? You could start with the shade of green that's in your fabric and go from there.

Debbie1 06-09-2009 06:05 AM

I don't think black would work well with the fabrics - a dark burgundy? or a brown. I can't wait to see the finished product!