Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Fabric dyeing for first time (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fabric-dyeing-first-time-t286322.html)

osewme 02-23-2017 10:41 AM

Those hand dyed are just beautiful. Now I have a question. Do you use a special dye? My DH had dyed things over the years (he likes dark colors) & dye shirts, etc. with Ritz dye. Then, if I'm not careful with separating my clothes we end up with "greyish" whites & lights because of him. Do you have to rinse & rinse & rinse many times so that the dye does not bleed? I would love to give this a try someday. One more question. What fabric do you use to dye?

Pennyhal 02-23-2017 10:45 AM

No, you can't just buy those fabrics at a store! Your fabrice is gorgeous! Well worth your efforts in creating them.

sandrab64 02-23-2017 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 7770783)
Those hand dyed are just beautiful. Now I have a question. Do you use a special dye? My DH had dyed things over the years (he likes dark colors) & dye shirts, etc. with Ritz dye. Then, if I'm not careful with separating my clothes we end up with "greyish" whites & lights because of him. Do you have to rinse & rinse & rinse many times so that the dye does not bleed? I would love to give this a try someday. One more question. What fabric do you use to dye?

I bought the starter kit with procion dyes and cotton PFD fabric (got 3 yards each of 3 different kinds to try out) all through Dharma trading company. Collected household supplies off and on until I had what I needed. Did lots of reading and internet searches ahead of time, took a deep breath, and went for it. Yes, it was a lot of rinsing which wasnt great but am trying to find more information on how to let your washing machine do the rinsing.

osewme 02-23-2017 12:08 PM

Thanks for the info on the dying and the company. I just keep coming back to your thread & drooling over your dyed fabrics. They are so very, very pretty & I can't wait to see what you make with what you've done here.

K-Roll 02-23-2017 01:25 PM

Ah! So beautiful, congratulations on your success. I used to make my own batiks in college...and dye my own fabrics, too. Your post makes me want to take it up again. I remember batiking a large flower and leafstalk on silk, grey background, as a scarf and gave it away before I hemmed it... the hem was just too much for me at the time. (!)

ckcowl 02-23-2017 01:55 PM

Beautiful! I love dyeing my own fabrics. Waiting ( patiently) for spring summer to dye some new. Yours make me want to soon. :)

stormwater 02-23-2017 03:49 PM

Fabric dyeing is very addictive! There are so many variations that create so many effects. By the way, you don't need snow to "snow dye". Using crushed (or even uncrushed) ice cubes works. Exploring fabric dye websites and blogs is a great way to spend a lunch hour at work!

Please keep posting your results.

QuiltnNan 02-24-2017 03:24 AM

very pretty colors

QuiltMom2 02-24-2017 03:33 AM

Drooling over the colors! Looks like you really did your homework before trying this.

quilterpurpledog 02-24-2017 03:54 AM

Your fabrics are simply beautiful and so well worth all the effort. I took a class to dye fabric and loved it. I still have the fabrics because 'they are too beautiful to use'. To dye your own fabric creates a whole new aspect of quilting experience. Go to the next mile and use them in something super beautiful. I am glad you enjoyed the class you took from iquilt. Just have fun.