Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   "Fake away"-Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fake-away-quilt-t200805.html)

ctipton 09-19-2012 12:50 PM

Oh congrats Uncle...Love the blanky

aeble 09-19-2012 02:43 PM

Great job on the quilt. I hope your new nephew loves it, it certainly looks soft and cozy.

Could you share a bit more info about your batting choice?
"padding is a filtermat used in shipyard painting halls.
Itīs 3-times cheeper than a padding they sell at fabricstores here in finland, and quality is 2 times better...
Allergy-free and washable in high degrees."
Is it a needle punched wool felt by any chance?

gramquilter2 09-19-2012 03:31 PM

Great job on your quilt. It will be perfect for the new baby boy.

twinkie 09-19-2012 03:39 PM

You did a fantastic job. Congratulations on the new addition to your BIL's family.

ube quilting 09-19-2012 04:33 PM

Both this teriffic quilt and a little boy will have a home! Wonderful.
peace

Iraxy 09-19-2012 05:12 PM

Congratulations on the new family member. A nice soft, warm quilt made by a loving uncle is a special welcome present!

joyce888 09-19-2012 05:14 PM

TJ great job, love the embroidery!

T-J K 09-19-2012 09:44 PM

I found out that a sharp new needle (I change it ~every 200 000 stitches) and tearable backing (I use 2 layers), are very important, I also use silicon spray lightly during stiching. I glue my sandwich with 3M sticker spray and my needles never come messy...I think most mportant point is that your work doesnīt stretch up and down like a drumskin...Good luck!:thumbup:

T-J K 09-19-2012 10:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by aeble (Post 5526564)
Great job on the quilt. I hope your new nephew loves it, it certainly looks soft and cozy.

Could you share a bit more info about your batting choice?
"padding is a filtermat used in shipyard painting halls.
Itīs 3-times cheeper than a padding they sell at fabricstores here in finland, and quality is 2 times better...
Allergy-free and washable in high degrees."
Is it a needle punched wool felt by any chance?

Itīs not that stuff...much more voluminous. Synthetic fibre called "Synsafe"...
It is used also in auto/car painting shops as a wall and roof filter, ask from there or some other industrial painting company where they buy it.
Here in Finland this import-company was happy to hear how I use their goods. I gave them a "warning" that in few weeks after my shopping they shall get a long line of quilters waiting for this material...be prepared!
It is synthetic fibre and itīs sold in rolls: 78,74 inches X 1 574,80 inches (6,56 feet X 131,23 feet) and thickness is 0,79 inches. I use two different textures, rough (blue and white) and smoother (white).[ATTACH=CONFIG]364162[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]364163[/ATTACH]

T-J K 09-19-2012 10:21 PM

I found out that a sharp new needle (I change it ~every 200 000 stitches) and tearable backing (I use 2 layers), are very important, I also use silicon spray lightly during stiching. I glue my sandwich with 3M sticker spray and my needles never come messy...I think most mportant point is that your work doesnīt stretch up and down like a drumskin...Good luck!:thumbup: