Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Family Heirloom Restoration Suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/family-heirloom-restoration-suggestions-t89314.html)

Windwalker 01-10-2011 11:16 AM

7 Attachment(s)
I have two quilts hand sewn by my great-grandmother. My dad has been using them as "rags" in his workshop. I just recently found out about them and acquired them this weekend. Originally there were 5 quilts this is all that remains. I am now wondering what to do with them. I need suggestions. I am still working on my first quilt top so I'm not experienced in quilting (yet!).

I have 4 siblings, do you think I could do something to share with them? Or should I salvage what I have and keep to pass to my kids?

Quilt #1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157238[/ATTACH]

Quilt #1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157239[/ATTACH]

Quilt #1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157240[/ATTACH]

Quilt #2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157241[/ATTACH]

Quilt #2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157242[/ATTACH]

Quilt #2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157243[/ATTACH]

Quilt Police unhappy due to this being a no access quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157244[/ATTACH]

craftybear 01-10-2011 11:17 AM

glad you got to rescue them

bluekrissyspikes 01-10-2011 11:21 AM

omg!! rags???? wow.
i'm not sure what you should do. maybe keep what is salvagable to make into a wall hanging and pass on to your own grandchildren someday. perhaps add a patch on the back with her name and the years she lived and your name the date stating that you came across it and decided to save it. it looks to be in rough shape but it's still beautiful and definitly not a rag. although i'm sure my father would do the same thing with it.

pocoellie 01-10-2011 11:48 AM

I don't have any suggestions, but I'm sure glad you rescued them. Before they were used as "rags" they must have been gorgeous. What was your father thinking?

janetellen1955 01-10-2011 12:01 PM

Quilt #1: I would take away the uneven borders, add a pretty even border and use it for a table topper. You could also make a pretty wall hanging. It is too pretty not tu use. Good luck.

Quilt #2: Since so much is destroyed or soiled, you might make a candle mat, hot pads, napkin rings or a doll quilt or just make a pretty bed for your kitty. Just use it.

salmonsweet 01-10-2011 12:09 PM

Do you think your siblings would appreciate having a bit of the quilts? I know my own instinct would be to share with my bro and sis, in a similar situation. I'd ask them and if they wanted a bit, I'd cut well-preserved bits from the quilts and get them bound or framed for each of us to have one to hang on the wall.

CarolinePaj 01-10-2011 12:15 PM

I don't know how to help you save them... but I hope you do! I also think that you should keep us nosy parkers (me) updated!

Hugs

tutty 01-10-2011 02:26 PM

MEN sorry that is all I can say ugh

sueisallaboutquilts 01-10-2011 09:21 PM

1 looks to be in fairly good shape. I like the idea of framing pieces of it.
2 looks really sad!!! :(
Glad you have them though!!

intoquilting 01-11-2011 08:15 AM

In a craft shop yesterday, they took a grapevine wreath and put a piece of an old quilt in the center. Then cut squares of the quilt and made bows using string and glued these around the wreath, painted a square that said "Old Quilts" at the top. It was really cute. You probably can't visualize this from my description but it really was neat.