Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   favorite nephew expecting first baby (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/favorite-nephew-expecting-first-baby-t230542.html)

ckcowl 09-18-2013 03:41 PM

favorite nephew expecting first baby

2 Attachment(s)
my *favorite nephew* (I can say that because he's the only one- every one else in the family has girls:D) is expecting his first child- so had to make a couple baby quilts- one from me- (his favorite aunt *yup only aunt*) their theme is baby animals-not cartoony- so I made this cute quilt...the second quilt with the stained glass critters is going to be such a huge surprise for him! about 10 years ago while I was working on a stained glass dragonfly quilt he kept coming in the sewing room- hanging out- watching- I kept telling him he could do this if he wanted- (he was about 20 at the time) then one day he came up with these critter coloring book pages- he created each of these blocks- had a little bit of stitching left on one---life happened, he moved to Florida, more life happened- I moved too...but I kept those blocks of his stuffed in a bag (he had put them together with puffy batting & a backing when he stitched the black 'leading') years go by- I still had them in the closet.. last year he moved back home- with a wife- now they are expecting their first...and I dug that bag of critters out of the closet. I finished stitching the last block, cut them each out close to the edges & appliqued them onto this dyed flannel (also from his hanging out days-playing with dyes- this was one of his 'drip cloths') then I added new batting & a backing & quilted it. the critters are really puffy & soft- since they have the puffy batting he had originally added plus the new batting I used on the whole thing. I can't wait to see his face when he opens this one! I bet he totally forgot about them & figures they've been lost for years. :cool:

Nammie to 7 09-18-2013 03:44 PM

Both quilts are great! The second one will be a family heirloom for sure!! What a neat idea.

Tartan 09-18-2013 03:47 PM

​What a great story behind that quilt! Wonderful quilts and memories!

coopah 09-18-2013 03:51 PM

Both quilts are going to be loved, but the history behind the 2nd quilt...that's just fantastic! What a nifty aunt you are! Hope all goes well and that many happy days are ahead for everyone.

fred singer 09-18-2013 03:53 PM

wow awesome,very artistic

Grandma Bonnie 09-18-2013 03:56 PM

Both are great, but the 2nd one will have such special meaning for him and his family!! Wonderful job!

Bluebell 09-18-2013 11:44 PM

Beautiful quilts. Your story gave me 'goosebumps'. I'd love to see his face when he realises.

key4unc 09-19-2013 02:51 AM

Wonderful quilts and a wonderful story. He is going to be thrilled.

Gilly 09-19-2013 03:47 AM

What a wonderful story can't wait to see what he thinks! darling quilts too!

Alexandra 09-19-2013 04:08 AM

Awww, so sweet. I bet he will treasure these.