Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Feed Sack Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/feed-sack-blocks-t16784.html)

RedGarnet222 02-25-2009 11:42 AM

Oh hey .... I can just see these set on point with a sage green sashing in an orential print.

butterflywing 02-25-2009 12:00 PM

what size quilt are you hoping to end up with?

glennis 02-25-2009 12:15 PM

Probably can do any size I want with 62 of them. Don't you think another print such as oriental would distract from all the many multiprints I'm already working with?

butterflywing 02-25-2009 12:42 PM

i agree with you. i also agree with those who suggested muslin. that would not detract from those pretty blocks. then there are all kinds of things you can decide: on point, alternating, sashings, or any combo. depends on the finished size you like. i would definitely use muslin for the backing.

show us the steps as you go.

Karenmay 02-25-2009 01:50 PM

This might be a silly question, but when you talk of 'feed sacks',...did they really start their lives as bags to hold dried goods? I find it hard to imagine any sort of food being contained in such pretty fabric !

Karen xx

KGoodhand 02-25-2009 01:57 PM

Aren't you lucky! Your aunt did a beautiful job on them! Whatever you decide to do I am sure your aunt will love that they have been put to use!

racnquilter 02-26-2009 08:20 AM

KarenMay, yes, if it is original feedsack material, it did start it's life as a holder of cattle/horse/chicken/pig/etc. feed. My mom tells me that sometimes the women would go with the men to pick out the fabric they wanted/needed. Or they would tell them to pick up such and such. She remembers that even if the bag you wanted was at the bottom with 10 bags on top, they would move the bags to get to the one you wanted.

RedGarnet222 02-26-2009 09:10 AM

There are reproductions of the old feed sack materials available now on the market. But it is quite possible these are from the sacks of long ago given the age of the blocks.

Elenore burns has a book out called egg money quits that might have some of the information about them in there. My aunt told me about them long ago. She had a long low building out back and I asked her what it was. A chicken coop. The government actually subsidized these home businesses during the hard times of the depression, or right after it. My memory of that conversation so many years ago is a little fuzzy. But, I remember how she had said many girls would not have had a new dress for school if it had not been for those feed sacks.

Karenmay 02-26-2009 09:18 AM

That really is a fascinating history...thankyou...now I'm going to start looking over here for that book...I'm sure I'll find it on Amazon!

Karen xx

glennis 02-28-2009 07:56 AM

Morning everyone. Not feelin so chipper, had gum surgery Thursday so takin it easy. Finally got to bottom of box these were in and found 9 1/2 yds muslin 36in wide. Guess I know for sure what I'm going to use. Also check out new posting called What's this? New Find.