Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Feeling like a Ghee's Bend quilter but not postage stamp quality! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/feeling-like-ghees-bend-quilter-but-not-postage-stamp-quality-t190656.html)

oksewglad 06-02-2012 03:21 PM

Feeling like a Ghee's Bend quilter but not postage stamp quality!

1 Attachment(s)
A cousin spearheads a group that makes donation mission quilts for their church. Last year they made 77 not so pretty quilts and not sure if they could do the same this year. To help them along I went through some stuff I had. After finding a bunch of precut 7 inch squares from clothing sewing days I was able to piece together 3- 60 x 80 tops and 1 42 x 42 top. Using the serger to piece made quick work and added durablity to seams. Not pretty sewing but fast and easy. From some leftover seersucker I pieced a 45 x 60 top and this 60 x 80 top. Putting this one together I took a big piece, added another, then another just as if I was sewing a big crumb block. I felt like a Ghee's Bend quilter, but don't plan on seeing this on a postage stamp.:shock:[ATTACH=CONFIG]339489[/ATTACH]

EvelynJ 06-02-2012 03:34 PM

Great job. I am sure your cousins church will be delighted with your wonderful quilts. I love your quote as well, in my home the spiders are safe most of the time!!

jillnjo 06-02-2012 03:43 PM

Gladie; I am very familiar with piecing quilts that look a lot like yours. We do the same in the winter months at our church and most are sent overseas to missions. I recently read a book about the help given in Liberia during a civil war in the late 90's and it was described how the people came to receive comforts to call their own and it would break your heart to know the hardships they endured. It was called Tears of the Rain. They use them for their beds in dirt huts. You have been busy caring for others! N.

oksewglad 06-02-2012 03:48 PM

Oh thanks Nancy. You just know how to make my day! I know I could be doing the same in my own church, but oftentimes don't find the time to fit their schedule. This way I can sew on my own and still give. We quilters so often get caught up in making something beautiful that we forget there are many around the world who just need something to wrap themselves or their meager belongings in. It is heartbreaking to know who little they actually have.

katkat1946 06-02-2012 04:29 PM

Pretty pastels - great project.

Jingle 06-02-2012 05:37 PM

Beautiful and beautiful colors, looks like sherbet. All will be loved.

NikkiLu 06-02-2012 06:12 PM

Great of you to do this! I received some instructions from a church a few years ago on how to make baby quilts and they stressed to make them sturdy - no hand quilting - because they would be washed in creeks or rivers and beat on rocks to get them clean.

dublb 06-02-2012 06:41 PM

OK, you're just awesome! This will keep someone warm.:thumbup:
PS Can we see picts of the others?

Tartan 06-02-2012 07:10 PM

I think it looks great! It looks like the colour block designs from the '70's. A couple of big flower appliqués or peace signs and it would be groovy.

burchquilts 06-02-2012 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 5261437)
Beautiful and beautiful colors, looks like sherbet. All will be loved.

That's what I thought, too. And don't kid yourself... a gift of a quilt is a wonderful thing even if the seams aren't picture perfect!