Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Finally Finished Funky Flawed French Braid Top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/finally-finished-funky-flawed-french-braid-top-t45345.html)

weezie 05-09-2010 11:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Way back in January, I was pursuing info. on this board regarding both French Braid patterns and Keepsake Quilting.

Research finally resulted in the completed top shown below. It cost far more $$$$ than anything I've ever attempted, some of which was due to miscalculations on my part. For example, I only had 1/3 of the Bali Pops I needed, so had to find and buy the other 2/3, plus I bought 3 different border fabrics (3 yds. each); the first 2 seriously bombed so will have to be used for something else. In fact, I have a lot of leftover fabric for future projects ... of the many $$$$ spent, not all went into this colorful top.

Now it is going into storage, along with its backing and binding until such time as I can work on it again, plus I am sick of it at present.

All the Bali Pops were cut crooked, so I had to measure everything before I sewed it. And yet, it is still flawed! I like it anyway. Hope you enjoy the photos.

katier825 05-09-2010 11:06 AM

I don't see any flaws! Once it's quilted and washed, you won't see them either! :) I found that I had to "audition" several fabrics before I decided on mine too, especially the border.

Quilter7x 05-09-2010 11:08 AM

What a stunning quilt. It came out awesome! Your color combination is great. It's good to put it away for a while if you're sick of it; you'll appreciate it so much more when you go to finish it. :)

oldswimmer 05-09-2010 11:10 AM

I dont see any flaws either! ONe thing I learned early on is that we are our own worst critic!
I think this braid is beautiful! I am curious about how the bali pops were crooked. Were they cut to small?

Beautiful quilt!

sharon b 05-09-2010 11:10 AM

I Love your colors :mrgreen:

Don't think of it as un-needed fabric, think of it as stash building :thumbup:

weezie 05-09-2010 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
I dont see any flaws either! ONe thing I learned early on is that we are our own worst critic!
I think this braid is beautiful! I am curious about how the bali pops were crooked. Were they cut to small?

Beautiful quilt!

Thanks for the compliment. The Bali Pops were cut crooked in every possible way. Some were too narrow, some too wide, and a very few were just right (2-1/2"). The biggest issue was that the measurements varied all the way up and down the strip. Luckily, there was enough width past 2" in every strip to get at least a narrow seam allowance.

amma 05-09-2010 11:19 AM

I think it turned out beautifully!!! I love those fabrics together :D:D:D You will love it again, once it takes a little vacation :wink:

Candace 05-09-2010 11:24 AM

It came out great.

breannabelle 05-09-2010 11:26 AM

Beautiful!

SulaBug 05-09-2010 11:35 AM

Your quilt is absolutely Gorgeous!! :thumbup: I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. When you get it finished, I just know you are going to be so proud of yourself for making it. Thank you ever so much for sharing with all of us!! I LOVE it.
:D :D :D :D