Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Finished MIL Maple Leaf Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/finished-mil-maple-leaf-quilt-t115013.html)

quiltingdoe 04-10-2011 10:07 AM

5 Attachment(s)
My Mother in Law started this quilt project over 20 years ago. Her intent was to make two twin bedspreads. She did all hand applique and hand quilting of all the maple leaves. Her stitches are very tiny.
I've had the 3 pieces since 2009 when she passed. I started late Feb and finished in late Mar. Since this is only my second "quilt", I received some input from my quilting group. I ended up attaching the two small pieces together, and removed one of the "middle sashings in order to connect them together into one quilt. Then I put binding around the edge. I'm sure she would be pleased with the results.

3 pieces of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182239[/ATTACH]

Maple Leaf Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182240[/ATTACH]

Maple Leaf Quilt Finished
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182241[/ATTACH]

Maple Leaf Block Finished
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182242[/ATTACH]

Maple Leaf Detail
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182249[/ATTACH]

huntannette 04-10-2011 10:11 AM

That is a treasure...you did a great job...your MIL would be proud!!

tealfalcon 04-10-2011 10:12 AM

Very pretty....you finished it so nicely..what a tribute to your mil

TeddyB1967 04-10-2011 10:13 AM

Beautiful, she would be very pleased

MargeD 04-10-2011 10:24 AM

What a beautiful treasure to have a quilt made by your mother-in-law. My Mom quilted, but they were utilitarian quilts, as she used old blankets as batting, and flannel sheets as backing. Unfortunately none of them survived being usd by 7 children. My Mom taught me to sew when I was about 6, beginning with embroidery and moving on to making all my own clothes. I do have a set of pillow cases that my Mom embroidered, and I treasure them. About 15 + years the family decided we need to see each other more often, as we are scattered coast to coast. When I hosted the reunion in NH, I decided I should make a quilt, so each family sent fabric and I made a quilt, which was "raffled" off. It has become a big hit at each reunion, and I make just enough money from the raffle to pay for the cost of batting, backing and background fabric. Everyone looks forward to seeing what the quilt looks like and I feel I am passing on a tradition of memories. MargeD

katieranch 04-10-2011 10:26 AM

Great job!

MargeD 04-10-2011 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD
What a beautiful treasure to have a quilt made by your mother-in-law. My Mom quilted, but they were utilitarian quilts, as she used old blankets as batting, and flannel sheets as backing. Unfortunately none of them survived being usd by 7 children. My Mom taught me to sew when I was about 6, beginning with embroidery and moving on to making all my own clothes. I do have a set of pillow cases that my Mom embroidered, and I treasure them. About 15 + years the family decided we need to see each other more often, as we are scattered coast to coast. When I hosted the reunion in NH, I decided I should make a quilt, so each family sent fabric and I made a quilt, which was "raffled" off. It has become a big hit at each reunion, and I make just enough money from the raffle to pay for the cost of batting, backing and background fabric. Everyone looks forward to seeing what the quilt looks like and I feel I am passing on a tradition of memories. MargeD

darlin121 04-10-2011 10:27 AM

What a lovely thing to do!

Originally Posted by MargeD

darlin121 04-10-2011 10:29 AM

quiltingdoe,
I am sure your MIL would be very proud of you! There is alot of satisfaction in doing a job well done.The quilt is lovely! I recognize some of those calicos from my childhood too!

Justquilting 04-10-2011 10:31 AM

Your MIL would be very proud of you!!
Great job!!