Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Finished my embroidered 'Flowers for Mom" quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/finished-my-embroidered-flowers-mom-quilt-t227296.html)

justflyingin 08-05-2013 01:21 AM

Finished my embroidered 'Flowers for Mom" quilt

9 Attachment(s)
Thanks so much for the advice...I asked a few weeks ago how YOU would recommend I quilted this. Several of you suggested cross hatching and even included a link.

So, I did.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]428392[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]428393[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]428400[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]428394[/ATTACH]
Then, I checked the back side. Oops. Not good. There were all sorts of problems with my starting threads and, being the "nonperfectionist" that I am, decided to, instead of tearing all out all the crosshatching, use the opportunity to cover it up instead.

So, set about to embroidery yet ANOTHER 20 squares and hand stitched over the top of the problem areas.

This quilt is destined for the couch, but I expect she may look at the back. It isn't meant to ever be a show quilt--not really, but it is made with love. All patterns came from www.emblibrary.com

My mom has been a piano teacher and lover of sacred music ever since I was a tiny child. She taught piano in our home to supplement my dad's income (as a pastor) and has taught many, many kids through the years, how to play the piano. So, I made the back side with that in mind...full of birds who are singing hymns. The corner squares consist of a label plus 3 verses.[ATTACH=CONFIG]428398[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]428395[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]428396[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]428397[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]428399[/ATTACH]

You and I know and can see all the problems here (I don't care to list them, but they are plenty, be assured) --but you know what? My mom will love it.

I wanted to give her a tangible "thanks" for teaching me to embroider by hand when I was 12, teaching me sew when I was young, teaching me play the piano and for just being mom. She's in her 80s and I knew I need to do it...so no regrets on my part that it's not perfect, because it's done.

I'm not the type to go around pointing out all the flaws--esp. if the other person doesn't quilt/embroider. :)

I'm flying over to the states tomorrow and this is going in my carry-on.

fien777 08-05-2013 01:31 AM

hahahah by solving your problem in a very creative way , you created a new one.
..."which side do I put on top today???"....as they are both so beautiful!!!!!!

gsbuffalo 08-05-2013 02:37 AM

beautiful..

Jackie Spencer 08-05-2013 03:42 AM

Your quilt is beautiful!! I love the flowers, have never seen a pattern like them! I know your Mother will love it too!!

grannie cheechee 08-05-2013 03:56 AM

Just BEAUTIFUL is all I can say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Misty's Mom 08-05-2013 04:03 AM

Very beautiful and creative. Your mom will love it!

Baloonatic 08-05-2013 04:11 AM

That is simply awesome!!!!!

gabeway 08-05-2013 04:37 AM

That is one stunning quilt!

Quilter 65 08-05-2013 04:42 AM

Reading about your mother and the love you have for her is very nice. How wonderful that you can do this for her and I know she will love it. It is such a beautiful expression of so many things.

romanojg 08-05-2013 04:52 AM

It is fantastic and I'm sure your mom will love all the love you put into it.